Intervention & Title I Services

respect long

>

bucki

bucki

respect long
Old 01-15-2007, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a different title than Title 1 but a similar program. I wrote about it at the beginning of the school year but haven't been posting for awhile.

My job is to help the kids in grade 5 that didn't pass the math or reading portion of the NCLB end of year test in 4th. The students can also qualify for my services by teacher rec. I was told to push in or pull out the kids to give them "extra" assistance so that they'd have a better shot at passing it this year. I'm allowed to see 14 kids over a 40-60 minute time period.

Math Problem 1: In the beginning I was to service 7 teachers. That would give me 8 minutes in each classroom. So I suggested to move the students (Just for math) into two classes that had the heaviest number of my math students. It would have given those 2 teachers 2 more students for math but I'd be in there for 30 minutes everyday.

They said no!! Nobody wanted me to push in at all.

Math Problem 2: They only wanted me to pull out but they wanted me to pull out during math. I explained they were to get a double dip. They didn't care.

Math Problem 3: None of the teachers wanted me to pull out during the first part of math (they'd miss instruction) or the last part of math (they wouldn't have time to do their work)

It was decided that I'd take all of the kids for all of math and be their exclusive math teacher. I was given no teacher edition to follow the special math program the school uses, no training, handful of manip.... Admin and 5th grade sat down after I expressed frustration trying to find something that would work for the team and made the decision without me. Parents didn't like the plan and 4 dropped out.

Now my big problem is that the teachers send their kids whenever they want. I get the "I forgot to send them. " (hello, when your students don't have math books because they are in my room and you're teaching math, shouldn't that be a hint?) They schedule them to go to the library, computer lab... during math. Oh, and they never tell me in advance. So, I end up with 7 kids one day for math and then the next day I have 6 but a different mix of kids. I have to reteach lessons that the kids who were gone missed but then I have others in the class who will be gone the next day. Admin knows but does nothing.

For this whole month the kids will be taking mandated tests at the computer lab with their regular classes. Admin scheduled them for fifth grade during my math class. So, everyday this month I'll have a students missing.

They do the same thing for reading too, but because I'm "extra help" for reading, it isn't as frustrating.

All of this wouldn't be as big of a deal except I'm not just augmenting for math, I'm their teacher.

Susan/IN

Forgetfulness
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Don't you just hate that excuse - I forgot. The teachers never forget art, music, PE - because it's the whole class. But if the admin. made the decision to pull the kids all out at one time, then they should be made aware that the students aren't coming and so should the parents.

As much as I hate doing it I usually go and pick up my kids. This helps some, but once in awhile I still get "I need to keep so and so because we're getting ready to take a test, see a movie, etc." I make sure I document why the student didn't come on my weekly report that I keep on each of my kids. A copy of that report goes home to parents and I ask that they sign and return it; in your case I'd send a copy to admin as well. Then when it comes time to figure grades, if there was something that you were going to take a grade on, unfortunately it's a 0, or you allow it to be turned in late. If you sluff it off, you'll never get the respect and cooperation. Classroom teachers often see us as "extras" that really don't count. We have to stand up and do something. I hate going into the classrooms to pick up kids; it wastes time because at times I have to go to 2-3 different classrooms. But at least everyone starts together. You might try talking to the admin. who set up this process. I bet they aren't aware of the problem. And, if they are, then ultimately it will reflect back on them in some way.

I feel your frustration. Good luck.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote
bucki

bucki

admin knows
Old 01-15-2007, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

about it and there solution was to put a note in our staff newsletter asking the teachers to do a better job. Nothing changed. I have one teacher in particular that is the worst. Her room is actually connected to mine and I'll poke my head in to ask for my students. However, she doesn't forget, she doesn't send them on purpose. I have stood in the doorway and waved to the teachers to remind them it is time but they still don't send them.