Help

Intervention & Title I Services

motivation

>

OCEANKA

motivation
Old 01-22-2007, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a feeling I am not alone. I work with a group of students for over 1 hour a day and am very proud of the progress they have made. However, our 9 week benchmark tests came back and across all third grade the scores were dismal! It's so frustrating because I truly believe they could have done better than they did. The problem is they have to read and think about the questions. It was not an easy test, but it was not difficult either, it required them to figure out answers.

How do we instill intrinsic motivation to these kids so they will show what they know? People are starting to get "beat down" because we are working so hard, but we are not seeing the benefits on testing?

OCEANKA is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 01-25-2007, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe by setting up practice sessions just like the test. I know when I repeatedly do something, it becomes easier and easier. I wanted my students to think in categories this year, so their free time activity was to get a category paper and start listing things. For instance, Things That are Black, and they could list: truck, shoes, pants, hair, dog, book, pencil.... After a while, they can think in categories. That helps when they have to skip a word they don't know and think of what would make sense there.

I'm doing paragraphs right now with mine. They worked so hard on the topic sentence that when they got to detail sentences, several were whispering "This is easy". It thrilled me! Now, if we write enough topic sentences, maybe that will be easy, too. Once it's easy, they love to show off and will do well on anything similar you put in front of them. At least, that's my experience.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote