Help

Intervention & Title I Services

I'm reorganizing

>

cbangert

I'm reorganizing
Old 03-23-2007, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In 2006 I posted a message that I was very frustrated with my job being that I was an inclusion Title 1 teacher and I felt like a glorified aide. This year I spoke with my principal and superintendent and am revamping the Title math program. Next year in 7th grade, I will get to pull my students from their regular math class for the time that the teacher spends in teaching a concept. I will now be able to teach the concept in chunks and be able to work with my small group on concepts they don't understand. With my 5/6th grade classes, my students will be taking Title math as one of their electives, during the 2nd and 3rd quarters. These are the quarters when all math teachers are really preparing for the state tests that are given in March. I will primarily be working on the tested standards with my students. They will be working with manipulatives, playing games and using the computer for remediation. I will also have time to work with them on their math facts, which is something I've never had time to do. With this schedule I will get to use differentiated instruction with my students, which is exactly what they need because that's how they learn best. In the regular classroom, the teacher doesn't have enough time to spend with this type of instruction and therefore my students fall farther behind. Also with this new schedule, I'm hoping to "catch them up" as much as I can before state testing. I know we're not suppose to "teach to the test" but with so much pressure put on us about state scores, we have to. I wanted to share with you the solution that I came up with for my dilemma and hopefully give some of you an idea of what you could possibly do if you're in the same boat as I was. Thanks for all of your helpful suggestions.

cbangert is offline   Reply With Quote

change2R

Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

THANK YOU!!!! I also feel like an aide. I hate going into class and walk around for 45 minutes to see if everyone is on the right page while the teacher is reading aloud. Or my favorite, make flash cards for the teacher to send home so the parent can work with the child, he needs some one-on-one time and the teacher doesn't have time to work with him. HELLO!!! What am I here for?!?! I talked to my principal about this last friday, he said we will talk about ideas for revamping the program this week. Well, it's friday again and we still haven't talked about it. I am soooooo bored and it kills me to go into a class and know that some of the kids need help and there is nothing I can do about it. Your story gives me hope!
change2R is offline   Reply With Quote
olsonp

olsonp

Revamping Title I Math
Old 03-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am the only Title I Math teacher in my district. I came into the position mid-year and quickly found that not all students who were targeted for Title I Math services actually received any. It was an inclusion program at the time and I, too, felt like a glorified aide. Although that bothered me, I was more concerned about the fact that many of the students were not receiving the help they were supposed to be getting and which they desperately needed.

Thankfully, I have a wonderful principal and, even though I was new to the position, he allowed me to change the program to a pull-out model. This has been working very well. The only complaint I have is that, with 9 fourth grade classes I am serving, it has proven to be impossible to follow each classroom's math instruction schedule as they do not follow the same timeline in teaching content. Therefore, I have had to organize my lessons such that sometimes I am behind and sometimes I am ahead of what is being taught in the classrooms. Most teachers don't have a problem with this. However, I do have a couple who want me to change my lesson plans in order to instruct their students specific to what is taking place in their classrooms at the time. Although gearing instruction to each child would be ideal, with nearly 60 students this is almost impossible.

Unfortunately, trying to keep track of who's doing what is not working well as communication from the teachers is almost non-existent. I have to initiate contact 95% of the time to find anything out. Most of my classes are back-to-back, with no time whatsoever between groups. Plus, I work between two schools. Therefore, there isn't any time to change from one lesson to another, which often includes set-up of manipulatives and other supplies. This is the primarily reason I cannot individualize the way I would like. Title I says we have to document a certain number of instructional minutes per day so, unless I don't want a lunch or planning time, I must run my groups back to back. Still in all, this set-up is far better than the inclusion set-up that existed when I first came to the position, which is much better for both the students and myself.