Intervention & Title I Services

End of the Year activities

>

LaVerne

End of the Year activities
Old 04-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone.

Just wondering what everyone who teaches Title I reading does with their groups at the end of the year??? First year at this....realize it is so much different than regular ed.

Some thoughts are writing thank you notes and putting on a reader's theater for their own classrooms as audiences. I am also taking them to the public library for library cards...so many don't have one...doesn't surprise me I guess.

I would appreciate any and all ideas. Thanks for your time.

LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

Old 05-03-2007, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We only have a few weeks left before school lets out, and I've already stopped seeing my students. I am testing all students for next year's eligibility, some of which is done now, some is done in the fall. There is so much to the paperwork, and so few times I can be in the classroom to give the tests needed, that we end about 4 weeks before the end of school. Also, the classrooms are so busy with parties, outings, and special events that many of my reading groups would have been cancelled anyway.

The ideas you had sounded great! In one school I enjoyed taking my groups out for free-reading under the trees in nice weather. I had my students write letters to next year's students telling them what it would be like to have me as a reading teacher. Of course, some kids decided to get very silly about it and I didn't know until after they had left and I read their letters. They can make a predictive vacation journal or first school day journal, in which they write as if they had experienced something that hasn't happened yet.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

Ladybug2

End of the year activities
Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure if you will see this because your post is dated from April but I thought you might be interested in a few ideas I have tried. First I should say that I work with Kindergarten and first grade. My kindergarten kids and I went on a letter/word hunt. They each had a post it pad and marker and when I would call out a letter or a sound they had to find something in the hallway that started with that letter or sound. You could also extend this by asking them to write the sounds in the word. They really enjoyed this.

The first graders and I went in small groups and we went on a scavenger hunt. There were enough clues around the school that each child had at least one clue to read. We also made a book for their teachers. I read the book, The Most Important Book by Margaret Brown Wise? Then they wrote down why they liked their teacher. Some simply stated because she's nice but I pushed them to write a detail. They had to tell me what she does that is nice or a time that they remember where she was nice to them. We've also read a receipe and made the snack for the entire class.

I've also taught them a reading game and then they have to teach another member of the class. I've tried to make it fun as well as provide them with opportunities to be in leadership roles. I hope you can use some of these ideas for next year!
Ladybug2 is offline   Reply With Quote