Intervention & Title I Services

Wilson Training - should I do it?

>

soycandle

Wilson Training - should I do it?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,

My principal wants me to go to Wilson training, three days this summer (upaid of course) with a few other teachers. The other teachers are sp. ed. If anyone out there has had Wilson training, has it been useful in your small reading group instruction? Are there any accolades for doing this, example, saying that you're Wilson Trained or something? Thanks,
Lynn

soycandle is offline   Reply With Quote

OCEANKA

FUNdations
Old 05-02-2007, 10:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't had any Wilson training (or exposure) but my school (K-3) does use FUNdations which is Wilson's K-3 program (whereas Wilson is 3+). From what I understand, they do work on the same principles. If so then it is VERY systematic and explicit and repetitive. Despite bsically doing the SAME thing EVERY day the kids don't get tired of it. I think that is becuase they are so involved with the activities. It uses white boards, letter tiles, gel pads, gross and fine motor activities, etc. There isn't time for them to get bored with the repetitiveness, that was more something for the teachers to get over.

I have seen many children make (and RETAIN) gains with decoding using Wilson's FUNdations. It hasn't been the cure all for everyone, but I don't think there is anything that is. This has worked with children that we were at our wits end trying to find some way to reach them.

When we observed a teacher who was becoming Wilson trained, she explained that Wilson uses the same approach as FUNdations (the program I use) but at a slower pace. My kindergarteners today were spelling flash, quick, trash, chick, etc. I don't think that's bad for our intensive Kindergarteners!!

As far as if it "looks good" to be Wilson certified I think that will depend on people's exposure to it. Many people don't know about Wilson therefore it wouldn't give an impression, but your results using it could.

Keep us posted what you decide.
OCEANKA is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

If they're paying,
Old 05-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thenYES!
Not only will you be able to easily implement what you learn, the kids will benefit, and you will become highly marketable!!!!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

soycandle

more Wilson Q's
Old 05-03-2007, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the advice. I just hate giving up three days in the summer with my children at home, but if it's worth it, then I'll need to.

So is Wilson's program something I can use for all my reading groups; is it a year long curriculum? Also, next year I'm teaching kindergarten, first and second grade reading groups, all students are chosen based on our Dibels scores.

I had thought about being trained for Orton-Guillingham, as well, but this Wilson training would be paid for by the corporation, I am just not paid for going.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Lynn

dee

Google the program
Old 05-03-2007, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you google Wilson Language Training, there's some info.

It's a continuous program with 12 levels. Originally it was for illiterate adults, but it works extremely well as a phonics program. There are 12 levels with specific rules. My sixth grader just completed level 5, with some 6 mixed in, and will not receive Wilson at all in middle school next year since she is now not significantly behind. She came to us in 2nd grade with no letter/sound recognition at all. My fourth graders have progressed to level 4.1 (there are about 5 or 6 steps within each larger step) and may or may not get Wilson next year, depending ontheir IEP review team meeting.

You can use the program from K on and all year. I find it extremely easy to use and so do the kids (both sped and not - I used it as a 1st grade teacher and now use it for all levels in elem school.)

OCEANKA

is my info wrong?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I remember being told that Wilson started in 3rd grade which is why we are using FUNdations (K-3). Is this wrong? I would rather be teaching a program that can be consistent for ongoing support rather than one that is geared toward K-3 only.

HELP!!
OCEANKA is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

FUNdations is Wilson
Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It is their K-3 program. Perhaps at one point it was a different company or something, but it is put out by the same people. The K-3 component is much more visual as far as cues, etc.

soycandle

not going, wrong program
Old 05-07-2007, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well, I'm not going to be going to the Wilson training because the training is for grades 3 and up, and I work with K-2.

Is the FUNdations program something that Title I teachers would use for small reading groups, because I read on the Wilson site that it's for general ed (large group?) classroom instruction. Is there anyone out there who can clear this up for me if another training opportunity presents itself?

Thanks,
Lynn

dee

More Fundations info
Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We use the fundations in our K-2 as well as in our sped pull-outs (just more of it along with sight words, etc).

I think it's a great program to be used as whole group, small group, pull-out, 1:1, Title 1, Sped, etc.

With that said, no one program is the cure-all for a reading problem, but this program is pretty complete.

jov

Wilson Training
Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wilson is not only for grades 3 +. My district has used it for many, many years. It is written to be used as an individual/small group intervention program for students (gr. K and up). My district adapted it to also use whole group in the classroom. We stopped using it in regular ed last year, once we purchased Trophies (no time for both), but Special Ed. still uses it for anyone who needs it. We never bought Fundations, which I believe was designed for classroom use, as opposed to an intervention program. I would absolutely go to the training if someone else is paying for it.

jov is offline   Reply With Quote

coolbeans

Reading Programs
Old 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Our Special Ed teacher uses Wilson and it's great. Orton-Gillingham is great also. We have a program at our school called Sonday. All three are very good reading programs. Any workshops on these are worth going to. I went to a workshop, which was a graduate course, on the over view of Wilson and Orton. After I had that the Special Ed gave me an overview of her program. I used it the next school year in a first grade class. I had 20 students that year. All but three came to me as non readers. By the end of the year all the students but one was on grade level. The best success I've ever had. I'm teaching second grade now and I'm using the Sonday program. I'm having success but not like I did that one year.

These programs, once you learn the background of them, have been developed by people who know them all or used one and developed their own version. By all means, if you get a chance to go to workshop--go! If nothing else, it will boost your confidence as a reading teacher!

Good luck!
coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote