Help

Intervention & Title I Services

RR Student Behavior Issue

>

kldpnut

RR Student Behavior Issue
Old 05-21-2007, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a new Reading Recovery student with some very difficult behaviors. My biggest problem is that he tries to get up and leave every minute or so during the entire lesson! We are supposed to go 30 minutes, but I haven't gotten that far with him yet. Any ideas? Has anyone used a successful behavior plan with a student like this?

kldpnut is offline   Reply With Quote

soycandle

difficult student
Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about a visual, like a race car track to show his progress as he "stays on track?" We have an E.D. teacher who uses this with a second grader and it seems to be working with him.

Lynn
soycandle is offline   Reply With Quote

alb26

Better late then never...
Old 07-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just found this site, and was reading through some of the posts. I figured I would reply with what I've done in this situation in case anyone reads the archives!

I was a reading recovery teacher for three years - but this coming year i'm moving to a classroom position (which i'm super excited about!).

During the last three years i've had several students who sound like your student. I had some success with making a checklist containing the parts of the lesson. I used kid friendly language to describe each expection and then laminated it so that they could check it off daily with a dry erase marker. As they completed each task they checked it off - if they got through all the tasks in the 30 mins then they got a prize. It seemed to work fairly well for these students.

I did have one student who was so much of a behavior issue though that it was impossible to keep her engaged for the lesson. My teacher leader came to look at her and we determined that her behaviors were too severe to really benefit from reading recovery and that it wasn't fair to the kids we had waiting to keep her in (we were under implemented).

Hope this helps!
alb26 is offline   Reply With Quote