Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Reading reversals

>

MrsM

Reading reversals
Old 10-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've encountered this for the first time. I have students who truly don't know whether to make the /p/, /b/, or /d/ sound when coming to words that begin with b or d. This one boy tries each of the three sounds and usually stays with one of the wrong ones. He doesn't seem to care about making sense, or at least that part of that sentence. What can I do? It isn't a writing thing, at least if it is I don't know about it yet. How can I teach him to *know* the correct sound and be confident about it? I have him for less than 30 minutes a day, in a group of 6.

MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote

LaVerne

Different!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My only suggestion would be to ask your LD consultant. They may have more knowledge about this...

Good Luck!
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

question
Old 10-05-2007, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you showed the student those letters in uppercase could they give you the sound? If the answer is yes then it is the confusion of the p,b,d. I tell my kids if the mother cow says MOO the baby cow says MOO.
Suggestion. put some salt in shoebox top then have him trace the letter you asked such as b then afterwards have him say the letter sound.
Other suggestion put those letters on a flashcard (index card) p,b,d, along with some known ones about 2 others . Place the cards on the floor and let him step on the letter and tell you the name and the sound. I have small groups too and this some of the things that I do.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

rdgspeclst

Reversals
Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I used a picture of a bed.....really simple drawing>>>> b___d for the b and d reversal as a visual. I just referred them to the drawing they each had out each time we read. It is a visual challenge. For the "p", I wrote several three and four letter words for them to practice reading and writing. It is more of a continual site...seeing words that begin with "p" and writing, spelling and reading them. The more they see those, the quicker they learn to recognize the 'p" as a "p". Hope this helps.
rdgspeclst is offline   Reply With Quote
flipflop33

flipflop33

Letter Reversals
Old 05-08-2008, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Have you ever heard of the LIPS program? In the LIPS program, they talk about how your mouth is formed to make certain sounds. When you say "p" and "b", your lips are closed at first and then pop out, so we call them lip poppers. When it is time to write those sounds, I tell my students to think about blowing a bubble and when they blow a bubble, it blows out, so that is how they should make the circle. I tell them that the stick is your lips that are closed at first and then you pop your mouth open or blow your bubble out to form the letter. We call the letter "d" a tongue tapper. When you say that sound, your tongue taps behind the top roof of your mouth. If they know which direction p & b, go, then I tell them that d is the opposite. Don't know if I confused you or helped you, so if you have any questions, just ask......At the beginning of the year, I let them use hang mirrors to see what their mouths look like when making the sounds.