Help

Intervention & Title I Services

Parent Involvement Activities

>

joyfullady

Parent Involvement Activities
Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach K-3 Title I Math, and the K-3 Title I Lang. Arts teacher and I are supposed to come up with some ideas for parent involvement activities at home and for a possible "Family Night" at school. Do any of you have ideas you have tried and found to be successful that we might try? I would really appreciate any help!
Thanks!!

joyfullady is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

parental involvement activities
Old 03-03-2008, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

For several years our school did a "stations" night. We had anywhere from 8-12 little stations set up around our gym so that kids and their parents could visit as many as they wanted to. It was almost like a carnival or fair atmosphere. At sign in we gave them a bingo card with all of the activities listed. When they visited a station we stamped that part of their card. When they left they turned in their card and we gave them a goody bag. We had door prizes throughout. At one time we did both reading and math so here are some of the ideas: Bingo, graphing center, sequence; couponing station (anywhere from draw a floor plan of your grocery store to sorting, to working on ABC order, to doubling amounts - the list goes on and on); writing center; main idea station; trail games center; calendar station; read a story to your child; listening and following directions station; jeopardy; card games to help with math facts (although one parent complained that was too much like playing cards/gambling so she wouldn't allow her child to participate); rhyming; drawing conclusions; compound words, contractions; book making; using magnetic letters (primary).

Hope this helps.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote
maria1

maria1

Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My school St. Michaels used the Curriculum Mastery Games from NewPath Learning and hosted a game night for parents and siblings. These games are designed for students to take home or for activity nights. Check it out.

LaVerne

We did...
Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

a similar activity but on a smaller scale in our library during our Feb conferences. We used frog games, a reading lounge, pictures with our mascot, made bookmarks, had snacks, gave away a free book to each child, etc. We used a passport instead of a bingo card.

Basically anything you do in your title room but more independently could be done for family night. It was fun. Good luck.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

joyfullady

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for these ideas - they help a lot! We just found out today that our budget for this is only $150, so we are going to have to be creative. We want each family to be able to take home something, and that will have to come out of that budget.
Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated!

joyfullady

One thing more....
Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I just wanted to add....
We are an inner city school and suspect that many of our parents have very low level reading and math skills. Parent participation at our school is poor, also. We don't want to put parents "on the spot" with activities that they may not be able to do. Have any of you run into problems like these, and what do you do about it?

LaVerne

Yes..
Old 03-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had a parent drop off her son and say she would be back in 2 hours to pick him up...we weren't running a day care but a FAMILY night. She left without any chance of talking to her so we took the child and spent time with him.

Our activities were primary and intermediate level so everyone found something they could do. Making bookmarks was very successful and everyone can do that. We used stamps, like for stamping cards and scrapbooks. Reading centered or pictures of bears, etc. Then they colored. Each bookmark had READ on it.

We didn't have 100% turnout but we knew that would happen. In some respects, it is as always. The parents you want to see are the ones you don't see. Makes my blood boil....but I try to remember the child...Good luck.
LaVerne is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We, too, are an inner city school. We try to have a teacher or assistant at each station to model what was going on to help alleviate that problem. We found out that teacher - led activities worked better for us. We still had a couple areas that were just parent/child oriented (like picking out a magazine or book to take home or a listening station).

I don't think I mentioned about the take home magazines. This was really great. Our librarian always has a lot of expired magazines that the kids can look at when they come to the library. She offered to put them out on tables and allow each child to pick one to take home. They loved it and it helped her get rid of some of the stockpile. She usually tries to sell them for 10 cents at the end of the year which gives her a little money for supplies but for a couple years she gave them away at our literacy nights. Maybe your librarian has a bunch of old magazines just laying around.

One thing we gave parents that was pretty cheep was a trail game they could make. We taped 2 pieces of construction paper end to end, put it inside a file folder, and gave them some colored adhesive dots to make a trail for each of their children in a straight line on the paper. Then they can play practice each child's needs at the same time and play a game. One kid might need to review spelling words, another might need to work on math facts, another might have to review for a test. When it's their turn, the parent gives them a question and if they're right, they roll a dice (or flip a penny) and move. Pretty simple and not very expensive.

Hope this gives you more ideas. Good luck.
Susan
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote