Help

The VENT

How to go about this

>

EarthMonkey

How to go about this
Old 08-15-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last spring I had my class doing scheduled work through packets, whole class meetings daily, and small group work. Now we have to do 110 minutes of live synchronous online lessons every day. I am not sure what the best thing to do as whole group would be. We use SIPPS for Phonics so that is one thing that can be done, however I think it is better for small groups. I am planning on doing number talks, because that is relevant to the highest and lowest kids in math. But otherwise, maybe Lucy Calkins because we need to use her program and I have used it long enough now it is like riding a bicycle. How to use the time for writing online-I am not sure. Any ideas/advice especially from those who did whole class full lessons in the spring would be welcome!

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Work time
Old 08-15-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I know some of the teachers at my school expressed interest in doing live lessons when/if school is online. The one teacher I talked to thought she'd teach a lesson live, and for the remaining of the time in that session, the students would have work time and she'd be available to assist as needed. So, you could teach your Lucy Calkins mini-lesson, have the kids write, and towards the end of the time, have some share. I suppose you could confer in individual break out rooms, but personally, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with just a student and teacher alone in the break out room.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Work Time
Old 08-16-2020, 06:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I second it - I saw an idea for giving a short assignment during online class time. Students had 10 minutes or so to work, and the teacher was online so the student could ask questions in chat or in the video.

Then, They could review answers/tough ones and she could see if they needed more practice.

I was hoping to incorporate that to lower “out of class” work, bc that’s what I would do in a “normal” situation. I would provide time in class to work to offer support.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

CA- 4th- 8th
Old 08-16-2020, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm in CA, and our district is K-8. The mandate is four hours of learning. There must be synchronous learning, but not every minute must be Online. The teacher can split things up into Online and independent.

Our district pushed out a "suggested schedule" that included lots of Online time. I'm trying to split the day up with breaks.

I don't teach littles (no phonics, here), but it seems that shorter lessons with frequent breaks are a must.

OPS suggestions to teach a short lessons, but to then be available as they work makes sense.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Following
Old 08-16-2020, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have 195 minutes of synchronous scheduled.

tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Old 08-17-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We're mandated 60-90 minutes synchronous lessons for kinder. Small groups count. I'm have one large 30 minute live session with the whole class then the rest of my day is small groups. Plus, specials counts for live minutes I'm pretty sure.
hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

Kindergarten
Old 08-19-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I’ll double check, but our kindergarten has 150 minutes plus specials.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote