Help

Visual & Performing Arts

wire sculpture

>

mamacanteach

wire sculpture
Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'd like to get my students working with wire but I have no experience with this. Does anyone have lessons/projects or experiences they can share?

mamacanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.artteacher

what grade do you teach?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i ask because it makes a big difference as to what you can do... stiffer wire will need pliers, and I find even my middle schoolers can have trouble handling them (though I think being able to use pliers is an essential skill, so I push it anyway) I bought pliers at the dollar store, skeptical about the quality, and they actually work really well!

so here are some things to do:

-gesture drawing: use the wire to express the movement of a figure in a dynamic pose. you can start with drawing and then make it in wire, or vise-versa. Sports pictures are good to use as reference.

-weaving: i make baskets out of wire, haven't tried it with the kids, but its fun

-wrapping technique animals: start with straight wire support and have the coil wire around the base, tightly around legs and other skinny parts, loosely around body and wider parts

Some things to remember:

-use a light gauge with younger kids. I like aluminum wire because its soft enough to bend with hands, but stiff enough to hold a shape and bit of weight.

-check for metal allergies (nickel can cause rashes)

-have band-aids, they poke themselves a lot. Gardening gloves help, but most of my kids are too stubborn to wear them.

-most wire has memory... I bought some steel wire to make mobiles and it has this annoying trait of wanting to return the coiled state it came in. It drove both my and my kids nuts to the point of yelling at it.

-Jewelry wire, copper wire is great for younger kids, especially if you have beads... crowns, necklaces...and you can cut it with scissors.

-try it yourself first. I like bringing home a sample of material and playing with it at home first to see what it can do. Professional development!
ms.artteacher is offline   Reply With Quote