Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Activities For 3 and 4 year olds

>

kimbrielle

Activities For 3 and 4 year olds
Old 07-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been teaching 2nd grade and 1st grade for 11 years now. I just switched to teaching art K-6 and I am so excited. I will also be teaching 3 and 4 year olds also for 35 minutes. At first I thought to use kindergarten projects but that's probably too advanced for the little guys. Any suggestions?

kimbrielle is offline   Reply With Quote

notartteacher

Ideas
Old 07-24-2009, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was the art teacher Pre-K thru 5th grade for 2 years. Check with the Pre-K teachers and plan with them. THey do so much art anyway. Check out my web blog. It still has some of my art pages on it. Also Kinderart has a little kinder site with good ideas.
notartteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
JessicaA

JessicaA

art with preschool and prek
Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Kimbrielle,

Art in ECE engages children’s senses in open-ended play and develops cognitive, social-emotional and multi-sensory skills. Art with 3 and 4 year olds is less structured and more exploratory than with Kinder. May I suggest that you provide them with similar materials as you would with the Kinders, but with less structure/expectation as to the product. For these kids, its all about the process. They should be encouraged to explore the materials, for this is how they will learn what they are and what they can do.

Painting is something they all enjoy, and it works to foster fine motor skills as well. Clay, which does the same, but also is a sensory experience, is great for 3/4 year olds. Many have not yet begun to master scissors, so you can provide construction paper or magazine pages, glue sticks, and scissors, and encourage the children to explore scissors and create a collage.

Good luck!