Help

Visual & Performing Arts

Back to School Art Project

>

Meggie11

Back to School Art Project
Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have set aside an hour on the first day of school to complete some sort of art project. I've searched the web for ideas, but haven't found anything that was just right.

I'm thinking about doing some sort of collage using magazine pictures and words, but would love to put a new twist on the idea. I'm also open to other types of art projects.

Do you have any great ideas for a back to school art project?

Meggie11 is offline   Reply With Quote

memlce

memlce

Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i like to start the year off with a "following instructions" activity where i have a list of instructions that i read to the students. i will say something like "draw 5 circles. draw 6 straight lines." there are no limits on where/what color/size/etc so it gets them out of that box and allows them to use creativity while still following a set of guidelines. so many kids are so used to people telling them how to do every little thing, they will start asking "where, what color, can i put them on top of each other?" telling them they get to make those choices helps to break them of this idea that everyone's pictures are going to look exactly alike. at the end of class i have them look around and see how different everyone's work is even though they all followed the same set of rules. i use markers, crayons, colored pencils, and pencils since i have a fairly short class period, but you could easily incorporate collage-type items.

jillywilly75

Shades of Summer
Old 07-27-2009, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found this idea several years ago online and have loved it! I have each student trace an "egg" shape pattern onto their paper. This will be their face - by having a pattern to trace they won't be tempted to draw their face very small. I then give each student a pattern in the shape of a pair of sunglasses. They trace these where they would fit over the eyes on the face shape. They are to complete the face to look like themselves. I use multicultural color crayons, along with markers, crayons, colored pencils, etc. On the sunglasses the student is to draw a "reflection" of something they did this summer...the sunglass pattern should be large enough for students to have plenty of room to draw their favorite summer activity. Encourage students to add their hair, shirt, earrings, etc. that makes the picture look like a self portrait. Hope this helps!
jillywilly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

ootbe

Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My favorite back to school art project is to give the students a piece of paper with a large star in the middle. They are to put their name in the middle (I usually ask them to give themselves an alliterative adjective too). In the top point of the star they are to write down things they are smart at. In the arms of the star they are to write down things they like to do. In the legs of the star they are to write down places they like to go or visit. They are then instructed to fill the blank spaces around the star with words and pictures (drawn or cut and paste) of things that are important to them and their lives. They can of course do all of this in very colorful and artistic ways. Great way to learn a little about your students and makes a nice opening month bulletin board too, or an extra addition to stars of the week boards.
ootbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"...I'm thinking about doing some sort of collage using magazine pictures and words, but would love to put a new twist on the idea....."

Maybe make a locker shape on large tagboard. Cut 3 sides, so the door opens, and glue around the edges to another piece of paper behind. Then they can do the collage inside the opening part, as "decorating" their new lockers.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

jenerator97

Old 06-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am new to this so i just saw your post and loved the idea do you have a pattern that you could pass to me. Or do you have any pictures that i could see of ones done. My email is jenerator97@yahoo.com. Thanks
jenerator97 is offline   Reply With Quote

cjhen

Shades of Summer
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love this idea! Do you have the pattern you use for this project? Or any examples you could show? Now I'm excited for the beginning of the year!!
cjhen is offline   Reply With Quote