New Teachers

Principal Asking Me to Change Exam Scores

>

QuietMouse

QuietMouse

Principal Asking Me to Change Exam Scores
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone been asked or pressured to change scores for students whose parents are very demanding? My principal has asked me twice now but not openly - he basically makes it a discipline issue and says that he is my supervisor and I need to do what he says, and as a new teacher I am the one at fault. Nevermind that these kids are rude, talk all the time and don't do their work.

Among other things I have found this principal to be dishonest and he is very critical, he does not ever built up but finds fault and when parents have openly attacked or criticised me about their student's behavior he has sided with the parents and has not once supported me in the face of that verbal abuse. I will leave at the end of the year, and want to protect myself in the meantime. He scares some of the staff who have told me they are afraid of him and 'walk on eggshells,' as they wait for retirement so they can leave. It's a small district and I don't think anyone above him would care about this, and I would guess it has been going on a long time before I arrived this August. : (

Star-Gazer

Document everything
Old 11-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Take notes as he is talking to you. Ask him to Put his request (order) in writing so you can document that this is his decision in case there are issues later on. Since you are not planning on returning next year, and it doesnít sound like he will give you a good recommendation any way, you donít have anything to lose. My Father always told me to keep a ďStay Out of JailĒ file, and this definitely falls into that category. Keep all documentation at home.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-25-2019, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

E-mail asking for clarification. Then contact your union/education association. Even in my VERY right to work state, this is a major ethics violation.

Iíd take insubordination (that wonít stick) over losing my teaching license. In other words, DONíT do it.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Pressuring you to change grades is wrong on so many levels. Donít do it. Document everything he says and does. Start looking for a new district as soon as you can, and leave that toxic, unethical environment.
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Lmc762

Old 12-15-2019, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would definitely leave the district asap. Also, I would document, document, document all interactions with this principal. I would take this up with the union as well.

Lmc762 is offline   Reply With Quote