Intervention & Title I Services

Interventions

>

Tchskds

Tchskds

Interventions
Old 07-10-2007, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be the Title I lead teacher at my school this fall. One of issues that I would like to look at this year is the format of our interventions. Many of the Title I interventions last year were done during the math or reading block as a pull out. It became very difficult for the students to adjust because they were often expected to keep up with classwork, as well as, receive their intervention. What are some of the ways that your school is fitting in math and reading interventions for Title I students?

TeachFun

Flooding Model
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use what is referred to as a flooding model. When I hear about others who do pull outs differently, it reminds me of how lucky I am to work at a school with this kind of coordination.

Our school creates a schedule for pull out or push in times by support teachers. That means, during our 45 min. block, the ELA, Title, and SpEd teachers work with the students on their roster for our grade level. (Our Title teachers do not provide Math services at this time - instead they work with reading, K-6). When these special services are provided, the classroom teacher then has a smaller group of students and can provide focused lessons. We have found that it works great. In the past I have provided whole group instruction for 45 - 60 min. just before the "flooding" time. Then I work with smaller groups as others are pulled out.

Last year the Title 1 teacher came into my room for the flooding time. We will refine that practice this year. I will provide Direct instruction, shared reading, word study, etc. for the first hour while I have the whole class. Then during our flooding time a Title teacher, ELA teacher, and possibly a SpEd teacher will join our classroom for independent reading, guided reading, and literacy groups. Because I prefer to work with all of my children, I hope to have very flexible groups, and each of us may work with any of the students during that time. I really feel this helps students feel more connected to the classroom. They are always a part of all that goes on. Last year I had one ELA student who was pulled, and I always wondered if he felt a bit left out when he returned to the classroom.

Good Luck!
TeachFun is offline   Reply With Quote

Toto

Old 07-20-2007, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are two Title teachers at my school, and we do our interventions (2nd,3rd grade) during the teachers' 90-min reading block. We're in there for 30 min of that time and use the targeted word study portion of Voyager Passport. The regular classroom teacher is working with a group and the other students are working in literacy stations. This has worked well for us.

We do Kindergarten and 1st grade pull-outs in the afternoon using LeapFrog and Voyager lessons.

We added 4th grade last year, and we had one class of pull-outs and one of interventions using the Voyager lessons.

We're not allowed to pull-out during anyone's math or reading block. Good luck with your scheduling.

No Title I math at our school.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

Title I interventions
Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am also the lead Title I teacher in my building. We have done mainly pullout, but over the past couple of years we have also included going into the classrooms (grades 1-2) to model best practices and work alongside the classroom teacher during their 90 minute reading block. I will be working with first grade only this year. I will do pull out for those most at risk: small group work and Reading Recovery with our most at risk students.

We have just adopted Rigby Literacy By Design for our reading instruction (for grades K-2). I use a variety of materials during my pull out time with the children.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

coolbeans

Inclusion Model
Old 07-22-2007, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For the past two years we have used the Inclusion Model for Title I services. There are two teams of Title I. Each team consists of a teacher and two assistants. Each team has a group of teachers they work with four days a week. The teams cover K-5 classes for 35 minutes each day. The one day they don't go into the classes is their planning day. They must meet with their teams that day at grade level meetings. They also do lesson plans and keep up with the books in the book room. The draw back to this is the first and second grade teachers lost their classroom assistants.

The classroom teacher does the running records and can change groups when needed. So most students work with all members of the team throughout the year.

Our reading scores really climbed up in the upper grades. Math scores are good but could be better. The lower grades (1 & 2) really miss not having assistants to help with K-2 assessments--if nothing but managing the others so the teacher can assess.

coolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote

lizzz1883

Intervention Block
Old 08-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In the past we have struggled with students missing other classtime bc of pullouts, whether it be for Title 1 or other services. This year a team of staff met to make a schoolwide schedule so each grade level is aligned and teaching subjects at the same time. In this schedule on Mon-Thurs we scheduled a 40 minute intervention block. During this time NO new learning will take place. It will be for enrichment and remediation by the classroom teacher and other support personnel within the school. Since as a team all of grade one has this block at the same time, we are able to switch students around so each student is either receiving review or enrichment from a staff member in small group at that time. Like I said its our first year doing this, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm optimistic and excited to better meet the needs of the learners in our school community!
lizzz1883 is offline   Reply With Quote