Help

High School

Too elementary?

>

srtawhite

Too elementary?
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just accepted my first teaching job!! I will have Spanish 1 & 2 students in a high school. I want to start planning as soon as possible.

That being said, I have come across the idea of not using desks in the classroom. I became a fan of the crate seats, and I want those to be the students seats. It would keep them from slouching or laying their heads down, and it allows for a large amount of easy interaction and flexibility in activities (which is completely necessary in a WL classroom). Do you think this is even a possibility? I have asked a few HS students (I am subbing now) and they seem open to the crate seats. They think a change would be nice. By the way, the school I am going to has 50 minute classes and my students would probably not be sitting for more than half of that time on a typical day.

Secondly, I really want my room to be bright and colorful. I will use centers for reading, writing, and listening. Stations will also play a huge part. I don't want my room to look too childish though.

Any thoughts or suggestions on these two things are greatly appreciated!

srtawhite is offline   Reply With Quote

jymnest07

Before You Decide...
Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You should check with administration first. They may not approve of your idea or they may not have anywhere to store the desks that need to be removed from your room.

Also with older students you have bigger weight issues. Will the crates be able to support a larger student.

It sounds like a cool idea, I just wanted to give you some things to consider.

If you do go ahead with it, post pictures! I'd love to see how they turn out!
jymnest07 is offline   Reply With Quote

srtawhite

Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your reply!

I have been warned about the bigger weight issue, and I'm not quite sure what to do about that. Someone told me that as a new teacher it wouldn't be a good idea to ask admin right away. I could weed out my desks slowly over the year(s) or just find a way to make them work for me.

I will post pics eventually. I don't think I can get in my classroom for about 3 more months!
srtawhite is offline   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As someone who has a bad back, I do not understand the fascination with crate seats.
You might be able to get tables and chairs for your room. A few of our lang labs had that set up.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

belleotx

Crate seats...hmm
Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would also consider your special needs students. They may be physically limited and crate seats could be a problem for them. If they cannot access them, then they are isolated.

belleotx is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMsSunshine

I wonder...
Old 05-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On top of the other things mentioned, I would worry about the seats being too short for high school students to sit comfortably..

Have you tried them out? I know that we have a Kindergarten teacher that uses them regularly at our school. It seems that something that fits a Kindergartner would certainly be too small for an 18-year old, but I've never tried it so I could be wrong! Just something to think about!
LilMsSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Elemteach22

Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Like LilMsSunshine, I also wonder if the seats would be too short. I am 5'9" and I would HATE to think that I had to sit on crates with no backs.
Elemteach22 is offline   Reply With Quote