Help

High School

Home Economics

>

SusanTeach

Home Economics
Old 06-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do schools still offer this? I don't think our high school does, but I've always wanted to teach it. There are so many things that it seems like children don't know nowadays, that I really felt like were taught in Home Ec.

I'm going to run the idea by our super (I teach elem.) and hear his thoughts. He visits our school occasionally. I realize it would take more classes on my part to get certified, if they even offer it, but I want to at least look into it.

Just curious what others do at their schools.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

We do but it is called FACS now
Old 06-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Family and Consumer Science...Though there are tons of classes beyond the basics--Resource Management, Parenting, and so on.

It encompasses all aspects of home, work, childcare and all that goes with that-food, nutrition, budgeting, cooking, sewing, life skills, etc. It is also aimed at both boys and girls though it is still mainly girls for the most part.

It is tied in with the extracurricular club FCCLA (Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America.) You could google that and see if your district has a chapter. That will give you a better idea if your high school has it. I can't imagine that it offers nothing at all of that sort. It is aimed at preparing both sexes to live independently after leaving home.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

ou_teacher

Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My school offered it (before my time) and then when that teacher retired they did not rehire another FACS teacher.

We have a part-time teacher now that is teaching FACS and she's trying to convince them to let her go full-time and teach some more classes.

I personally took 6 years of home ec (7-12) when I was in school and I used to teach a life skills elective to middle school and it is a shame what kids don't know how to do.
ou_teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
BNW

BNW

Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was in middle school in the late 90s, I took a home ec class labeled that. It was the whole class. When I went to high school, we could take a cooking class elective. The teacher taught a bit of sewing, finances, and things of that matter. Where I work, we don't have any such classes. We do have a course that I consider home ec for the pregnant girls.