How to deal with an extremely intelligent disobedient student - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

High School

How to deal with an extremely intelligent disobedient student

>

Tlrei

How to deal with an extremely intelligent disobedient student
Old 06-01-2014, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I would like to get some advice on how I can deal with an extremely intelligent high school student who is habitually disobedient. Note: when I use the term 'disobedient' or 'misbehaving', I do not mean it in the traditional sense of disrespectful, loud, obnoxious or aggressive - quite the opposite actually.

To provide you with some context, he is extremely intelligent - that is, A to A+ results - across all his classes. However, he often falls asleep in class; does not complete set in-class work; is often late (when asked why, he responds with 'I am not sure', or 'I don't have an excuse') and; very rarely completes homework (unless I am checking up with him constantly). Oddly, when given standard assessments he is on-task and completes them relatively quickly to a high degree. Normally, such behaviour would automatically warrant action (phone calls home, a letter, etc). However, he is a very calm, quiet and conscientious student - never interrupting the learning of other students, never being disrespectful/raising his voice, will sit at the back of the classroom to fall asleep, and is overall a very nice student who is a pleasure to talk to (capable of intelligent adult conversation).

Of course, I have thought that it may be that my classes are boring or dull, or he is just too smart to be interested. However, after talking to many of his teachers, it seems to be a regular occurrence in their classes as well and they're happy to let it continue as long as he maintains his grades and is never disrespectful.

I have given him detention before - i.e. completing work missed in class, writing lines, etc. and he will take take responsibility for his actions without any arguing - however, this doesn't seem to be a deterrent to him, just time-consuming.

In my 15+ years of teaching I have never experienced this before. What would you do in my situation? Have you experienced this before? Should there be consequences for his lack of participation in the classroom? Is this just a specific personality type? (i.e. He is quite introverted, very private/passive, dislikes loud noises, talking in crowds, etc). Basically, as he is hurting no body other than himself (and even then, not really) should I let it slide?

Tlrei is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Sounds too bright
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Would independent non-traditional assignments help? Does he have any interests in which he could focus his smarts? Dual enrollment in a nearby college?
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

TheoDorable

Any Issues at Home?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Sounds like this student may be suffering with some non-school related issues. Does he have friends, or is he more of a lone wolf? Have you talked to the school counselor at all? I would be worried that maybe he is not getting the attention he needs at home...I would find it less odd if he were completely disengaged in one or two classes, but to be sleeping and totally uninterested in EVERY class makes me wonder if perhaps he is struggling with depression or another undiagnosed issue, or if things at home are out-of-whack. I think that reaching out to the parents, mentioning that he is exceptionally bright but very disengaged, would be a good first step. Please keep us posted on what happens!
TheoDorable is offline   Reply With Quote