>

Staff

Editor

Staff
High School Get-Together!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Welcome High School teachers!

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other High School teachers right here on the High School Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching in High School? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

I love high school!
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I predominately teach seniors, so graduation is really special to me. The students work so hard for it and are genuinely grateful to their teachers for helping them! Graduation makes every single bad day or weekend grading papers worth it. There is nothing like it. I would never miss a graduation unless I was in the hospital! A close second is watching them come into class with college acceptance letters. That is another amazing feeling.
I also love the overall spirit in high school. The students really love their school and want to make it a great place!
Last year was my first year in high school after several years in middle school. I am really glad that I made the change.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsRoadWarrio

20 years and counting
Old 09-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am now on my 21st year of teaching high school Language Arts. I have taught all levels from freshmen to seniors in both English and Journalism-based courses. My favorite part of teaching at this level is the relationship I develop with my students as far as high expectations; they learn that they are treated as adults if they are accountable for their actions. I see them come in as immature freshmen, and leave as adults ready to take on the next phase of life.
MrsRoadWarrio is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Elementary, middle school, and now...
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

High school. I'm just starting my third year of high school and this year I am thankfully down to one prep, earth science. I teach all grade levels, but I enjoy freshmen the best. They're the most fun and I enjoy seeing them mature from year to year. This year I have several juniors who are repeating my class from their freshmen year and the change is really noticeable.
Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Aeridena

Watching them progress
Old 09-03-2014, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a Spanish teacher and I have the same students every year who chose to take the next level of my class. It is fascinating to me to watch them grow every year, physically, emotionally, and academically. When I first started, the Spanish program was very weak and most students just took it to goof off. This year when we went through our reviews, the students remembered a lot and were able to write sentences and have short conversations in Spanish! It was a great feeling seeing all my hard work show such great results!

Aeridena is offline   Reply With Quote

SpecialAnne

Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

the thing that is special to me about teaching high school is the opportunity I have had to transition students to post secondary opportunities. I teach a Career Exploration class where I get to help seniors with IEPs explore all the possibilities that are available to them. I work with them for a full year and get to observe all sorts of achievements and setbacks! It is amazing. In fact since school started a week and a half ago I two students from last year that have graduated have contacted me to just check in with what they are doing now! Super proud? In my spare time I love to run and workout. I am a voracious reader and enjoy all the reading threads on these boards! I am mom to three daughters that are successful beyond anything I could imagine! Life is good!
SpecialAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Pink_Elephant

21 Years!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Whoo! Way to go! This is my first year teaching, and I am always so excited to see so many teachers that continue to teach and love teaching for so many years.

Pink_Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote

Pink_Elephant

First Year Teaching!!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my first year teaching, and it is so exhilarating. It's like trying to ride an giraffe on a skateboard! It's exciting to say the least, and I am never sure where my feet are going to land. I would like to say that despite this crazy roller-coaster of new experiences, my fellow teachers are helpful and supportive. Anytime I don't understand a procedure, need lesson building help, or just great ideas, my colleges are there. I love this school for that reason. Highschoolers can be brutal (fun, cool, and interesting, but also brutal). I like having the support net right beneath me, even if I don't really think I need it. It's nice to know its there.

Pink_Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacher_twins

Old 09-03-2014, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is my second year teaching high school math and English, but my 11th year teaching. This year I teach 10th grade English Honors (English 2 Honors) and 10th, 11th, and 12th, grade algebra 2 (all grades mixed together). I like teaching high school because the students are independent so I don't have to baby them and I can get to know them better. There is also the opportunity to teach challenging classes for both student and teacher (AP classes and dual enrollment classes). Also, since high schools are usually pretty big, there is a large staff of teachers to guide me in the right direction on a lesson if I am stuck on something. My personal favorite part of teaching high school is the shows that the performing arts department puts on (marching band at football games, chorus concerts, band concerts, orchestra concerts, musicals, and plays).
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am starting my 29th year of teaching special education. All but one have been in secondary. I do love it! I am in a small school, so I may have the students for six years. Like the PP stated,
I enjoy watching them grow over the years! I can't imagine doing anything else.

tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

castlemiller

3rd Year
Old 09-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a history teacher - US History, Government/Economics, and Sociology. I am on my 2nd (& Best) career having been an accountant prior.

These past three years have been the most exciting and absolute best working years of my life, mostly because teaching is more than a job. I enjoy teaching my content (I'm a history nerd), but the best part is getting to know these young adults and guiding them into their college years. Especially those that had no interest in college until they walked through my room.

Simply put, when people ask me what I do for a living, I am proud to them them I'm a teacher!
castlemiller is offline   Reply With Quote

dakota_blue5

Old 09-05-2014, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I taught for seven years in North Dakota, then after marrying my husband and moving to Indiana I was out of teaching for about eight years. Six years ago I started teaching at our tiny church run private school and I am so glad to be back! I have always taught at small schools and I love the relationships you can build with these kids. I love the fact that if they are having difficulty I can see it almost immediately and I can help them with it. There's just something about the teen group that I really enjoy especially 8th through 10th graders. I teach predominately English and speech classes.
dakota_blue5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SciFly

Sharing science sharing learning sharing life
Old 09-05-2014, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I started out teaching 8th grade general science in 1993. I loved dressing up as Galileo and dropping balls off the fire escape, and taking kids to space camp and getting parents and administrators to sign off on letting the kids safely observe the annular eclipse that year.
I brought in a loaner kit of biotechnology equipment from the university and we did RFLP analysis and genetically engineered bacteria to be ampicillin resistant. I loved the enthusiasm of the junior high kids.
Now I teach high school science.. I have an introduction to laboratory science class for freshmen and I teach first year chemistry, AP chemistry and physics. Although four preps is insane at times, it is never dull!
I love the passion and capability the high school kids have. You can't help but catch some of that energy. I hope to teach at least ten more years, because I am still learning and still chasing that perfect year!
SciFly is offline   Reply With Quote

pettyh

History Teacher
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have been teaching High School for 18 years. I am History teachers who have taught just about everything under History.
pettyh is offline   Reply With Quote

HighSchool14

Howdy
Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach 9th grade and this year has certainly been a challenge. I expect things to improve over time, and I hope all is well with everyone else. What is special to me about teaching in High School is that I get to see the growth that many students experience over the 4 year period. I see them as 9th graders with squeaky voices and pimples and get to see them as young adults headed for wide open spaces and adventures.
HighSchool14 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Hybrid
Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I teach English 1 in middle school. I think it is the best of both worlds! My students tend to be (although not always) a bit mature than most 8th grade students, and I love my curriculum.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Old 09-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Hi all! I've taught HS Biology and Lab to 9th graders for 14 years. I am in a small school and came to Proteacher last year, mainly hoping to find support when things get crazy at school. I really like connecting with my high school students, getting to know them and helping them learn about the world around them. Biology is a fun science because it includes so much that most kids are naturally interested in - animals, food, health, nature, etc. I love teaching - (but I don't love the discipline, paperwork, evaluations, etc.)
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote