Help

High School

Behavior issues when subbing

>

knitting987!

Behavior issues when subbing
Old 11-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What is a sub to do when a large part of the class flat out refuses to do the assignment and just sits there and talks and no work is done? This is really hard as a sub. Any advice is appreciated. Most classes work well. The afternoon classes seem to try this and I need advice. I've learned that teachers don't call you back at the middle school if you tell them the real truth of how the kids behaved. The HS is different but I'm scared from my middle school experience.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

ArtsyFartsyII

Old 11-12-2014, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had a similar experience, so I've turned into a fickle person when it comes to middle and high school assignments. I'll take any classes if they are at the specific schools without behavior problems (the "higher performing" schools... I have never had to do any real discipline). If they are the other ones, I'll do it if it's (not behavioral) special ed, upper level classes (like physics or chemistry), electives (ones that students choose to take, like home ec or choir), or classes where I know some of the students (6th graders who remember me from 5th grade. it makes a huge difference when even some of the kids know you; the rest of the class takes their cue).

Otherwise, I've had too many times where the kids don't want to do the packet assigned (they want to procrastinate and say they'll do it at home). I'd like to go over problems at the very least, but no one wants to listen or is in any way interested. The schools don't give the subs much in the way of disciplinary action (or ways to get them to focus and work), besides leaving their names for the teacher, and that's not always motivating (not to mention sometimes it's the whole class acting up). If they don't know you, they get a bit offended when you try to get them to sit down and behave. I've had enough of that. They don't do the clapping or attention getting stuff that the elementaries do.

I do plenty of 5th grade, and the regular teachers treat them differently than 6th graders are treated, so in middle school they've forgotten their proper behavior. I've had classes, where I ask for assistance from the teacher next door and the teacher says that to basically just make sure they don't kill each other. Yeah - so that's just too much stress for me.
ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicNerd2009

Old 11-14-2014, 01:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Tell the students that you are collecting it at the end of class, even if the teacher didn't instruct you too, than actually do it. It is funny to see them try to write down random crap at the last minute. Than leave a note explaining that they were collected because they didn't want to work.

-former high school substitute
MusicNerd2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

agree
Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My husband is a sub - he will usually "sugar coat it" a little for the teacher because teachers are very defensive. They will think it is the sub's fault when it is usually the fact that they have not set the proper tone from the start. He always collects work if the kids seem a little "rangy" even if the teacher didn't ask him to. He get asked back all the time so I guess nobody minds.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 11-15-2014, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for your thoughts. It is tough and a learning curve for sure since I'm new to HS.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetosub

Always collect the work
Old 12-18-2014, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Even if the teacher does leave instructions likewise. In your note, indicate that you needed to make the students accountable to you and that is why you collected their work. I also make note of students who did not do anything or slept through class. The teachers usually know or should have a good grasp of which students will cooperate and which ones will not.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

AMDucky

Former sub.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I subbed for 2.5 yrs before I received my teaching job. I've been teaching for 7 yrs now.

First, let me tell you that the teachers set the tone for subs. Teachers with horrible class mgmt have the worst students. I tell my students to respect subs as if they were a teacher or an admin. I also tell them that I will reward those that behave and punish otherwise. I teach 9th and 11th grade ESL but have taught academic.

Second, as a sub, I always lied and said that the work is due at the end of the period and there will be a quiz over what they worked on that day at the end of class (or sometimes said there will be a quiz tomorrow). I also, told students to not ask to leave the room as I was not going to let anyone out for any reason. Also, I told them up front that I would not tolerate any misbehavior and I will be leaving names or writing students up. SUBS have to take control!

I personally think that a lot of subs are too meek. Even when I get sub notes, I ask for subs to leave names and I will write up students when I return. I get back and they may have made a comment about 1-2 students but didn't leave a name. Teachers can't take action if names were not left behind. I usually have a few honest ones that I can ask (usually as they enter the room.)

Third, don't be afraid to discipline. Write students up and/or send them out. It only takes 1 student for you to make your point. The others will know that you are not playing. When I subbed, I would write the students names on the board that were misbehaving. I told them that they had until the end of class to make up for their behavior. If they complied, I'd erase their name.

Whatever you do - DO NOT change teacher plans. That's a sure -fire way not to get a call back.

SORRY so long. I hope this helps.
AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Stupidbaker

Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it would be best for the teacher to give student practice on something they have already taught, but allow the sub the freedom to do whatever he or she thinks is best. The sub should know what the previous lesson was and the next lesson is.
As a sub, I would want to teach the next lesson, and I would want the students to know that the regular teacher wants that lesson to be taught and expects the students to learn it. I would want to be able to teach what I know of the subject content, present it in appropriate size chunks for individual practice. I would want to be able to circulate about the room to give help and give credits for trying, for correct answers. After each chunk of individual practice, I would want the correct solutions given to the class. I would want to be able to collect all of the papers (notes with practice) from all of the students at the conclusion of the class.
Stupidbaker is offline   Reply With Quote