The VENT

Possibly returning to teaching

>

Signedout26

Signedout26

Possibly returning to teaching
Old 01-15-2021, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I took a job that doesn't pay as much and put in for a leave of absence. I needed time away because it was slowly chipping away at my sanity but the truth is this job isn't paying me enough especially not for the hours that I'm working. Basically if I'm not working this job I'm also doing a side hustle. some might be reading this and think that teachers do that all the time but I was making more teaching.

The teaching job is still mine if I wish to return. I have until March to decide.

Even though it might sound like a really really ridiculous question I do need the reminder from people-If I'm not making enough money and I was when I was teaching then returning to it isn't a dumb thing to do right?

I have my concerns but I also think a year away gave me better perspective. At least now I won't be working several 12-hour days (not unless I choose to haha) and I have more flexibility in my schedule so that I can get extra credentials and possibly have a better chance of a more suitable job for me.

I'm super tired so thank you for your patience if you read all of this and tried to understand.

dee

The thing is...
Old 01-15-2021, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Nothing's permanent!
If you go back, it will give you time to plan- maybe stay, or not. Who knows?
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Definitely not dumb...
Old 01-15-2021, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teaching is tough and time consuming, but if your new job isnít paying enough for the hours you are working and you need to work another job on top of it, that creates a whole other level of stress you did not bargain for.

I would give teaching another shot.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Lesser of two evils?
Old 01-15-2021, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It sounds like you're trying to decide which is more feasible-- your current job(s) with less pay vs. teaching with more stress. Both situations seem to have taken their toll on you.

While struggling financially is definitely very stressful, maybe you can consider looking for ways to rethink your finances if you continue your leave of absence. If possible, maybe a financial planner could be consulted, or maybe just searching through online resources such as blogs or even YouTube videos that offer strategies.

If you return to teaching, it's important that you go in completely aware and prepared to deal with the greatly increased stressors of the newest requirements related to the pandemic. Many more students are struggling academically and with pandemic-related social/emotional issues. Based on posts I've read by confident, experienced teachers, the challenges are beyond anything experienced in the past. If you decide to return to teaching, maybe you can set up some sort of counseling through your work insurance that will help guide you through the challenges you may encounter.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a tough decision either way.
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-15-2021, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Not a dumb decision. Whether it's a wise choice for you is a different question.

I would suggest thinking carefully about what specific aspects of your teaching job were negatively affecting you. Paperwork? Planning? Difficult parents? Unsupportive administrators? Relationships with coworkers? Whatever you want to add.

And what did you like about teaching, besides the pay? Interactions with kids? Being part of a team? Seeing the difference you made in students' lives? Intellectual stimulation? Summers? What else?

OK. Now, can you limit the negative sufficiently to make a return to teaching be the right decision for you?

I hope you will end up with a plan that is right for you.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

Old 01-15-2021, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

What about retirement benefits? Does your present job have any retirement, medical, etc. that makes it more appealing than teaching?
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

After yrs of teaching,
Old 01-16-2021, 12:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think what you did was wise. Taking a yr off and seeing that all jobs have their pitfalls.
The best advice I can give you, I learned later in life. Either stay out of debt or get totally out of debt. I did not think this was possible at 1st. It is very possible b/c at 1 point in my life, I had more debt than income. I always assumed I'd have car payments.
For some reason, my bro bought me a Dave Ramsey financial peace program that got my attention. I did not follow it exactly, but I was out of debt and able to retire early. I am loving it too.
You may have to work at a crappy job, or even stressful one, for awhile. I did for too long.
Finally though, the break through came. When you have 0 debt, you can pay cash for a new car and often get it cheaper. Plus, you are not paying interest. That allows you to save more. Once you get rid of 1 debt, you keep spiraling out until you can save most of what you make. The quicker you start, the sooner you won't need a lot of $$ to pay bills and can retire or quit the stressful job. Also, it helps to buy a place that will have very few overhead costs. Good luck!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-16-2021, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with TAOEP. Evaluate what was it that made you leave teaching in the first place. it's unlikely those things will change unless you have changed and/or the actual job changes. it's not a bad thing to go back to a job that allows you more free time; however, it would be a bad decision to go back to a job you hate for that reason. It's unlikely you'll hate it any less. It might be that you need a different job entirely.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote