Help

Smartboarders

Alternative to SmartBoards

>

superc1974

Alternative to SmartBoards
Old 08-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was curious what types of alternatives teachers are using rather than SmartBoards. What other technology do you use rather than an overpriced SmartBoard for students to interact with material? Seems as more and more, it doesn't make sense since just one student interacts with teacher content. Any ideas? Thanks!

Chris

superc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use my Smartboard for whole group, too. For example, I display pages from the student edition when I am giving directions. I show animated math models to introduce math lessons to the whole class. I display ppts to use with whole group lessons. I display graphic organizers that we complete together. I can save them and pull them up later. (Better than dry erase board where once it is erased, it is gone or chart paper where I have to store it and then I need to have a place to display it.) I show you-tube videos, science videos... You can use it to display SKYPE calls so all students can see. I used Go Noodle site this year and displayed the videos on the Smartboard.

I have a document camera, too. So students are able to show & explain their work to the whole class on the Smartboard. I model handwriting to the whole group. I display my read-alouds on the Smartboard so all the students can see the pictures. Students can listen to/follow along an ebook. In addition, there are interactive games for more than one player that can be played on the Smartboard.

I use the Smartboard as a center-three students at a time.

We use the Smartboard all the time. I wish I had one of the newer versions. Those you can have two students writing on it at the same time.

I had two laptops. This year they took out our laptops and we are supposed to get two iPads. I am excited to have my students use those. I like that there are apps like Tell About It where my nonreaders/nonwriters can develop their oral language skills. Once they start writing, they can use Write About It app. There are other apps like Telligami, Scratch, Jr., Doodle Buddy...that I want to have my students use.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

superc1974

Old 08-22-2014, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for the great response. I use my SmartBoard quite a bit as well, however, just playing with the idea of using different technology to replace it. I guess my thought is I don't want to be tied to a SmartBoard and the 4:3 scale of it. So much content, including our computers, are widescreen scaling, and I'd like to on some things make the image on the board more at 8 feet wide by 4.5 feet tall rather than just 5ft.x4ft. I have 15 Chromebooks in my classroom, and with a Chromecast, kids can interact by showing their work on the board. My goal is to have them do this, but I'd also like something such as an eBeam Edge, where I can use regular markers, but have the content saved and control my computer with it. Mersive also makes some great software for BYOD and schools. Thanks for the input!
superc1974 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookworm472

Mimio
Old 08-23-2014, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a SmartBoard, but a colleague of mine uses a MimioTeach Interactive Whiteboard. It turns any whiteboard into an interactive whiteboard. I'm not 100% sure about how it works, but she really likes it.
bookworm472 is offline   Reply With Quote