Help

The VENT

Has this happened to you?

>

NCLATeacher

Has this happened to you?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A co-worker offers to share a resource and it turns out you created it (and shared it) a year ago?

Or the same co-worker tells you she already created an activity and after (grudgingly) sharing it, you learn that she copied it off the internet and is passing it off as her original work?

As a teacher, I try to stress the importance of doing your own work, giving proper credit and NOT plagiarizing the work of others. If I share a resource that I find, I tell people I found it, I do not take credit for other people's work. How can a teacher behave like this?

Thanks for letting me blow off steam!

NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 01-12-2010, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Or the same co-worker tells you she already created an activity and after (grudgingly) sharing it, you learn that she copied it off the internet and is passing it off as her original work?
I'm sorry you work with a thief. Character shows when you least expect it.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Ugh
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would be more upset if it was my work that was passed off as their own. I love to share my ideas with others but give credit where it is do.

I agree with previous poster that you work with a thief. Either that or she is senile.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby07

OH yeah!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I was out on maternity leave, a very nice young teacher subbed for me. I taught her a management system that I used and encouraged her to continue using it. I hadn't created it, but had gotten the idea from a magazine and made it my own with a few little changes.

About 6 months later, this same young teacher was interviewing for a position at our school. I sat on the interview committee. When asked to share her portfolio, she pulled out *my* management system. I was shocked to hear her say --- right in front of me! --- "I created this management system......."

I couldn't bring myself to say anything, I was so appalled! As soon as her interview was over, I told the committee about it. I even had them walk down to my room and showed it to them. (they all knew she had been my sub) The principal ended up discussing it with her in private. She denied it vehemently, even accused me of stealing the idea from her!

She didn't get the job!
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

girllovesmath

hate when that happens
Old 01-13-2010, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I create a lot of original documents and I always give credit when credit is due, even if I got the idea from the internet. I have had someone share a document with me (they probably got it from Blackboard) and I just mentioned that I made it.

If a teacher ever handed me something I made and said "here, I made this", I would definitely call them out on it!

p.s. Is that the right comma placement?

girllovesmath is offline   Reply With Quote

TXMathLab

Old 01-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district math coordinators always put a copyright notice on the bottom of their documents. It has the copyright symbol, their name, and the date. They also tell us that if we change it in any way, we have to amend the copyright to say "revised by NAME" and the date.
If you start copyrighting your work when you share it, they can't take credit for it.

ps. No, that's not the right comma placement. It should read: "here, I made this,"
TXMathLab is offline   Reply With Quote

5thGrdTeachTN

Been there
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have had this happen to me with things that I have created from scratch, but I borrow so much stuff from other teachers and online that it doesn't bother me (however I do not claim to have created things which I did not). I think that as teachers we should be sharing our ideas freely. The exception would be the teacher in an interview that claimed she created a management system. It would not have been the claim so much that bothered me, but the fact she was dumb enough to claim this in the same school where she got it from!
5thGrdTeachTN is offline   Reply With Quote

girllovesmath

Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks TX!!
girllovesmath is offline   Reply With Quote