Help

The VENT

Is your day like this?

>

FMT

Is your day like this?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do when you have too many things to do that are not meaningful to your instruction?

It is very obvious to me that the more work they can give the happier they are.

They want growth and evidence of improvement. There is only so much time in a day and that does not mention the contracted work time.

What I see happening in my school is a group of teachers under stress and angry. We have meetings and tracking forms, new programs to implement but no quiet time to learn and prep in our own space duty free from children.

I am running from thing to thing. Literally.

Why are we trying so hard to compete with China? The pencils they make are rotten. The pencils break, the stickers don't peel off the packaging. Why are we pushing so hard to compete with a country that make inferior stuff?

the jewerly for kids......................

I am thinking that the old saying do less better makes sense.

We should buy USA items and pay for quality things made by our fellow workers.

I think I feel better. Do you see my point?

FMT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jola

Yes
Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I see your point and I agree. I feel like they are piling more and more on top of us when what we need is time to teach and time to plan and assess to address the needs of our students. There are many stressed out teachers at my school! I often hear them (myself included) comment that they are simply doing the most important tasks and leaving others unfinished because there is not enough time to do everything that is being asked of us.

It is a very frustrating job. When I talk to teachers who have been around for awhile, they say it didn't used to be like this.

There must be a better way to address the needs of our students without making us this crazy.
Jola is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 01-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is called teacher burn-out. More and more stuff is loaded on your plate, with less and less time to do it in. The only ones who survive are the numb ones who no longer care....
depressing thought huh-
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

teachervenus

I agree with all of you
Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The whole thing is absolutely sickening.
teachervenus is offline   Reply With Quote

crockpotqueen

roboteacher
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, we must do more and do it faster with less materials and less pay with larger classes with more kids with greater needs that don't speak English.

We must work much longer hours than we actually get paid for just to minimally get by.

We must get every child to pass state tests by 2012, no matter what their handicaps or challenges are. Challenges like this don't matter. We are at fault if they don't pass.

If they are cold,we clothe them. If they are hungry, we feed them. We buy pencils and glue sticks and notebooks for them, even if their families have no financial hardship. If they are mistreated at home, we call CPS and make sure that something is done. We buy materials with money from our own pocket because the district doesn't supply much. We come in early, we stay late... we do whatever it takes, but its not enough.

Did you read the one about the woman from Detroit that wants teachers JAILED if the kids don't pass state tests??? It's not a joke.

Somehow we have to get parents to come in and conference even if they don't care, are too ill or too drunk or whatever the situation might be.

We spend the whole day on our feet, working through our lunch and running around like a nut during what little planning time we have. We rarely even get a chance to use the bathroom. We are told we may not take time off for medical appointments and such -those are to be done after hours. It doesn't matter what the doctor's schedule is like or how sick you are. School is to come first, before your health and before your family.

It is totally sickening. Why would anyone want this job?

crockpotqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

kestchr3

Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Valone brought up teacher burnout. Teacher burnout implies that teachers are just too tired, bored and don't care. I don't feel that way. I feel angry that I have a job and students I absolutely ADORE and I am not permitted to give them my best because someone who makes lots more than I do can justify their clean desk by buying into every idiotic, moronic educational "idea" that other paper pushers like them can sell to educational experts who have the power to push it all on to me. That's what makes me mad. I teach, plan, grade,copy my worksheets, cut out laminating, put up bulletin boards, file grades on line, fill out forms, chair committees, work later and later etc. etc. etc. I do all this and more without a second of outside help. No aides, no volunteer tutors, no nothing but administrators, state education department, even the feds telling me that I am not worthy. My children are the sanity in this whole mess. Just to hear one child say "I get it!" makes me come back for more.
kestchr3 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachervenus

Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
Yes, we must do more and do it faster with less materials and less pay with larger classes with more kids with greater needs that don't speak English.

We must work much longer hours than we actually get paid for just to minimally get by.

We must get every child to pass state tests by 2012, no matter what their handicaps or challenges are. Challenges like this don't matter. We are at fault if they don't pass.

If they are cold,we clothe them. If they are hungry, we feed them. We buy pencils and glue sticks and notebooks for them, even if their families have no financial hardship. If they are mistreated at home, we call CPS and make sure that something is done. We buy materials with money from our own pocket because the district doesn't supply much. We come in early, we stay late... we do whatever it takes, but its not enough.

Did you read the one about the woman from Detroit that wants teachers JAILED if the kids don't pass state tests??? It's not a joke.

Somehow we have to get parents to come in and conference even if they don't care, are too ill or too drunk or whatever the situation might be.

We spend the whole day on our feet, working through our lunch and running around like a nut during what little planning time we have. We rarely even get a chance to use the bathroom. We are told we may not take time off for medical appointments and such -those are to be done after hours. It doesn't matter what the doctor's schedule is like or how sick you are. School is to come first, before your health and before your family.

It is totally sickening. Why would anyone want this job?
TOUCH DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post.
teachervenus is offline   Reply With Quote