Help

Fourth Grade

Treasures Catch-Up Week HELP!!!

>

luv2teach36

Treasures Catch-Up Week HELP!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Alright everyone it has been a crazy week for me. Normally I like to have all of my lessons for the next week done around Wednesday or Thursday so I can have everything ready to go for the whole week on Monday. (Wow...hopefully that made sense). Anyway, like I said, it was a crazy week last week and I just started looking at lessons. I don't know if this is common for all schools using Treasures, but we do five weeks, then a catch-up week (I am a first year teacher btw and have never even seen Treasures before this job). Now, I know this week is used to teach the things we did not get to. One of the other fourth grade teachers mentioned she is going to read another book to the kiddos. Is anyone willing to share how you structure that time? We have three hours of uninterrupted reading time, and I'm starting to wonder how I will fill it all in! Thanks!

luv2teach36 is offline   Reply With Quote

athurn

Week 6 of Treasures
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The other 4th grade teacher and I do a number of things...I'll try to remember all of them. We do different things each time, as not to be so repetative for the kids.

*Read a novel(s) through Book Clubs
*Use the National Geotraphic to reteach/revisit skills from the past 5 weeks. We use highlighters and find/practice the skills.
*After the horse theme the one week, we read Misty of Chincoteague
*For this first one, my kids are making a brochure for a National Park
*One week I do a typing camp
*After the undersea type theme we do a research project about coral reefs
*One of the themes must have something to do with natural disasters because I split my kids into groups and we do a news broadcast about natrl disasters!

We usually try to do something fun/a project during that week because we do have so much time. We ALWAYS reteach/revisit the skills though too!

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Abbey
athurn is offline   Reply With Quote

Megteach

Old 09-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your weekly schedule for planning sounds like mine. I, too, like to have my plans complete by Wed nite so I can prep for the following week and be ready for Mon.

The sixth week I use as review also. Be sure to check your weekly assessment to make sure what they deem important to test. I revisit the skills with worksheets, activities (centers), and websites. If I haven't gotten to some of the leveled readers, or a specific skill needs attention, I make sure I address it.

The series website does have activities for them to do online.

I wish I had more time than I knew what to do with. (Make sure you review vocab and grammar.)

Hope this helps.
Megteach is offline   Reply With Quote

adbays

catch-up week
Old 11-07-2010, 02:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use the 6th week to go back to the "3rd story" that we didn't get to, like "Into the Swamp" and "Putting the Pieces Together"... so I can bring in those skills like reading a map, diagram, etc.

Or I catch-up on the months worth of Weekly Readers I haven't gotten to! Talk about OLD news!
adbays is offline   Reply With Quote

leonsicecream

We only have one day
Old 11-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We don't have a catch up week. This unit we only have one day of review. And... review we will do. Grammar is the biggy. The kids still struggle with the plural noun, possessive nouns, and possessive plural nouns. Honestly, so do I. Normally we get a couple days.

Anyway, I am setting up stations with skills from the unit. Then I am going to pull kids for skills they need to work on.

leonsicecream is offline   Reply With Quote