Fourth Grade

Homework for first day?

>

kpteach1

Homework for first day?
Old 08-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey all,

Just wanting some new ideas for homework for the first day. I always do the "Me" bags, but wanted to change it up a bit maybe. I saw a post on here about Me Squares that I like, but I don't think they can get it done in one night. I could do both, but do you think its too repetative? I don't want them to be bored with Get to Know You Things!

Just thought I would see what you all are planning on doing?!

Happy Back to School! We start Aug. 25 in NC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

kpteach1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bumblee

fun
Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like doing a getting to know you activity. I've done "Me Bags" where you give the kids a lunch bag and they fill it with 5 things that tell about their family or about their summer. This year I bought "Me Newspapers" and I'll have them complete them and keep them to hang up for when they are star of the week.
bumblee is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Puzzle
Old 08-18-2011, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

At our school, we are "the heroes." i cut out the word heroes from large white construction paper. I then cut each letter into 3-4 pieces. Each student takes home a piece of the puzzle and decorates it with items about themselves. I don't tell them what the pieces turn out to be when put together. On Friday, we share and everyone brings their pieces back and they put them together to form the word hero again. We talk about how they are all individuals, but together we are a team that works together and sometimes need each other to do our bests. I display the completed puzzle on the wall all year. Oh, and I also mark the side to be decorated so it will go back together properly.
sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

artsyteacher

forms
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First day forms and folder
Project- A poster all about me, due next Monday
Assignment- work on multiplication facts. First timed quiz is Friday of the first week.
artsyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 08-18-2011, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did something simple: Draw and write about the most important rule at school. Some kids wrote a paragraph. Some kids wrote a sentence or two. They came out good, and made them think!

I also sent home an information sheet about themselves that they had to fill out by themselves and maybe with a little parent help: name, address, birthday, parent to call about homework and number.

basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Inge

Love It!!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This is the cutest idea. I will be trying it this year. Thx for sharing!!
Inge is offline   Reply With Quote

e00252

Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like the idea of Me Bags. Great chances for kids to share about themselves.
At the end of last year- I had my class write advice letters to my upcoming students. This year those letters will be at each child's desk on the first day. Invite students to write a letter to themselves... writing down goals and wishes for the new year. (save them and dig them out the last week of school.)
I try to choose a theme to keep the first two weeks going. I chose "newspaper" reporting and writing. We will create our own personal newspapers about ourselves. Homework is a survey about themselves that will help them write about themselves. Magazine collages are also very telling. Invite students to collect 10-15 pictures and 5 words that describe or show hobbies or talents of the child. We collage over one side of a large manilla envelope (which I laminate) for them to use all year for their home-to-school folder.
Another first day activity is to make captions of the rules and give each pair of students a caption. Their job is to plan and create a poster cooperatively that fits their caption. Kids share out, and we display those. It saves me from talking like crazy about rules, but they get the message. For homework, they could write a paragraph about one school rule.
I also like to do a scavenger of the classroom. There are places to find and questions to answer about each area. Then we discuss each item/location of the room. It is a good chance to give directions on some procedures. As homework, you could have the students reflect on the classroom environment... draw a map or diagram.
e00252 is offline   Reply With Quote