Help

The VENT

What is inappropriate wording????

>

+Ion

What is inappropriate wording????
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok....I'm a lil bit bothered by an outerwear clothing incident that happened to a student at our school. SO I have a question to see if I need to let it go. What words would you consider INAPPROPRIATE for a middle schooler [grades 5-8] to wear on their outerwear? Something so inapprpriate that would cause you to report it to the office and have the child berated and belittled infront of their peers?????

+Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

txmagistra

Well...
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think children should be belittled and berated, period. But when a fifth grader at my school came to school with a shirt that said "Wish List: Naughty Girls" our staff found that inappropriate and he was sent to the office...
txmagistra is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 02-16-2012, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What is your definition of berated and belittled?

If in fact this hostile talking to occurred,it defeated the purpose of teaching the child respect.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

nothing
Old 02-16-2012, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

nothing should cause a child to be berated or belittled at all.

They should simply have to call home for a new item or it be turned inside out or covered with duct tape. If it becomes a chronic problems call in parents.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are many words or phrases that I'd consider inappropriate for middle school clothing. I'd just send the student to the bathroom to turn it inside out, or if it was some type of clothing where that wasn't possible, send them to the office to call home and get a replacement.

I'm not sure where belittling and berating would play into it, but calmly calling the offense to the child's attention and reiterating whatever the school's policy is with the class would not be inappropriate. No need to get excited over it, though.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

OCEANKA

2 issues
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think your question has 2 separate issues.

I do think there are words/ phrases that are innapropriate for school.

I think the belittling and berated is another separate issue.
OCEANKA is offline   Reply With Quote

LilMissSEI

Old 02-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it would be helpful if we knew what words the kid was wearing...
LilMissSEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Quatro

Many
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There are many words and images that are inappropriate. Why were they belittled? At our school they go talk to the VP and turn it inside out, or put on their gym shirt. Personally I think the playboy bunny is offensive but that is never called to be fixed.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

inappropriate
Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You are not very clear on your question.

I agree with OCEANKA.
Quote:
I think your question has 2 separate issues.

I do think there are words/ phrases that are innapropriate for school.

I think the belittling and berated is another separate issue.
I infer from your question that a) a student wore a piece of clothing that was inappropriate, b) someone, perhaps in authority, made a comment about the clothing that was inappropriate, c) you want to know whether you need to do something about either situation.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

+Ion

Woah....
Old 02-16-2012, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was bothered b/c this child has worn this piece of clothing for quite some time now and it was only recently that it was addressed [not by me b/c I didn't see anything wrong with it....it did not disrupt instruction or draw unneccesary attention to the child]. I wanted to know what words y'all would think are inappropriate....it never crossed my mind that what was displayed on her body was inappropriate....the jacket was always unzipped and quite honestly, the letters where never fully together to be noticeable. I guess I was just happy that she was coming to school everyday! Never a problem child.

I feel she was belittled because she was called out among the rest of the grade level, in front of her peers a day after it was supposed to be addressed. I did not ask you guys/gals about the belittling...I KNOW that was uncalled for. It has been handled.

After talking to the child I realized why she was wearing it....especially after noticing that all of the clothes she has been wearing are tight....that those are the only clothes she has. So thanks to compassion and understanding on my part, I was able to speak up for her, help restore some sort of dignity, and find a source of school uniforms that fit her.

Result = Happy Ending

+Ion is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Inappropriate Wording
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

So do you want our opinion about whether or not we'd consider the wording inappropriate? If so, it'd be simpler if you just told us what it said. Otherwise we could go discussing a hundred other words/terms/logos all night.

Our public school switched to uniforms for everyone to avoid these issues altogether. I get a bit bothered that it's generally enforced, but not entirely consistently. It also helps the elem. teachers know what grade the MS kids belong in. When I was growing up, I thought uniforms were TERRIBLE (and was so glad I didn't have to wear one like those kids at the Catholic schools.) But now, I've become quite the fan. Many of us staff actually wear them as well. It's comfortable and affordable and we can 'represent' the different grade levels to the students which they like. Today I was in light blue. Tomorrow I'll probably wear yellow and tell the 6th and 8th graders it's because the 7th graders were the most helpful on our Black History Project.

Last edited by GdHrtdTchr; 02-17-2012 at 01:05 PM..
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote