The VENT

Feel less than worthless :(

>

Upset:(

Upset:(

Feel less than worthless :(
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My husband is out with his friends. I just want to crawl into a ball and die. I'm so bored at home with only chores to do. I'm too broke to do anything. All of my friends are busy at work or with kids. My husband is tried of hearing me complain. I know I'm a good teacher. Why was I fired and terrible teachers still have a job? I've been passing out resumes like candy and applying to any school that is hiring and no calls. Will things ever turn up for me?

dee

So sorry you are having a rough time!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hope what I am about to say is taken with the supportive heart it is given.

I have been in your shoes ( many moons ago, though)! It sounds like you are depressed about your situation. Depressed people are usually not fun to be around!

I am only going on the short amount you wrote here, so forgive me, please! What is your outlook in general? Are you usually optimistic and this was a mini-whine? You are absolutely entitled to be bummed about your situation! The rest of the time, what are you doing to make yourself feel better? Do you work out? Walks are free! Do you still have your teacher union card? Around here that would give you free admission to museums and such. Planet Fitness is $10 a month to join. I don't belong, but son does and another friend and they really like it and it's cheap. Our local library has book clubs, the church has group stuff that has some blue haired old ladies but also all ages. Even if you don't belong you could check it out.

You may be giving off a vibe that turns people off. If you try to be more optimistic in your outlook, that optimism gets picked up by others. Regarding resumes, around here, many schools use online applications more than anything. Schoolspring is one site and it is free.

Good luck! And you are entitled to whine and feel bad, but you have to pick when you do it- it can't be your general outlook. Best wishes and hang in there!
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Old 01-25-2014, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Go to interviews with a bright smile on your face. I participated in an interview committee, and I can tell you that the bright, smiling candidate who exuded confidence and energy got the job over those who did not. It is difficult to sort through equally qualified candidates. The clinching factor is personality. Go in with a positive feeling and you will get a job.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 01-25-2014, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For the commenters after the OP, did you read that the poster is unable to get an interview? I was fired about 8 years ago, and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get an interview. So, this is my advice, you can choose to leave your last position off your resume if you didn't work there for a long time. (I had to leave off the terminated postion in order to find a positon. I tried honesty for years, and was unable to get hired, and hey I need to eat!) In order to get hired I had to do this and I also had to work many many jobs and switch every 1 to 2 years in order to not have gaps in my employment history) OR under why did you leave the position give a response such as can discuss during interview. OR apply for a paraprofessional position, prove yourself as a valuable and flexible employee, and then hopefully gain a teaching position and an interview that way. What were you fired for? Perhaps there is a good way to explain this in a way that doesn't sound too terrible. Another good answer - Due to a mistake I made, I was let go, I would love to explain more about what I have learned! That sounds great on an application, and I have actually gotten interviews from using that response. I wasn't applying for teaching jobs, however.

Don't give up! Seek help from a counselor if you can't get out of your funk. I was very depressed too. I currently am working as a parapro/assistant, but I have a ton of responsibility, in charge of re-teaching lessons to middle schoolers, and I check in on 3 different gen. ed classes per hour - my students, and it is not a boring positon at all. I also get certified teacher pay- 5.00 more per hour than a para with just a h.s. diploma.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. S.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Just wanted to say "I'm sorry you are feeling this way." You may want to see a doctor for help with the depression.

Substitute teaching is a great way to get your foot in the door and get a feel for school climate. Schools usually hire over the summer so don't give up now. Hang in there, dear.

Mrs. S. is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

YES they will
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Every year is different. Name this one. "The Year of Solitude", or "The Year I got Canned". Can you name your past years?

Have you thought about going back to school and changing careers? You could talk to the college career advisor. Maybe taking a few classes can put you into a better job.

Teaching is way overrated. Anyway, I'm sending you a hug {{{hug}}} .
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

RealisticPreK

Old 01-26-2014, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

While applying for teaching jobs, you may want to also apply at a childcare center to teach pre-k or else to oversee schoolkids after school. Or apply to be a tutor. Any school-related job to keep you busy and serve as an additional reference while you are waiting to get back into a classroom.
RealisticPreK is offline   Reply With Quote