The VENT

Breaking up fights

>

0-0-0-0

0-0-0-0

Breaking up fights
Old 12-09-2014, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is there a correct way to break up a fight?

I swear, this has been a stressful school year already. Then, today I have to break up a girl fight right outside my classroom. The aggressor was not at all about to stop. Rage in the face and eyes was more than evident.

And what bothers me even more is that it's a grand show for other students. Many (not all, but many) love the action! They try to encourage it more. We teachers try to tell the kids to move on and that there's nothing to see. Many just stop and watch in a trance.

I'm just a high school teacher. I'm not security. Am I supposed to physically get involved? Is there a wrong/right way to break up a fight?

What have you done/What do you do to deal with a fight?

Quatro

Cussed
Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I yelled "knock that #### off." They were so shocked to hear me cuss that they stopped long enough for another teacher to get in between them. I will not get in the middle. The big problem is those with their phones taping the fight IMHO.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Never get in the middle of a fight.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I tried that once, two MS boys on the ground with a crowd around them, adults included. I stepped in, almost had my arm broken. They just were NOT going to stop and it was intense. However, as soon as I did step in, a couple of burly longshore male parents jumped in and pulled them apart.

As a teacher, if one of them gets hurt and you touched either one, chances are you will get blamed or hurt. Not worth it.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

brooks56

fights
Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I told my students if they got in a fight I would send for help, call 911 and do everything except get in the middle of it. It is not worth your health to step in between. I know several teachers who were injured doing this.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Student fight
Old 12-09-2014, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One of the things I remember from grad school was being told to not break up a fight. The students have such tunnel vision when in a rage that they don't or what know who they may be attacking. I've witnessed teachers get knocked down and hitwhen they tried to break up a fight that my first response is to call the SRO.

NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

don't get in the middle
Old 12-09-2014, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When you put yourself in it you're either going to get hurt or get in trouble or both.

We've been told to give a verbal direction and call for help.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Use your big teacher voice. Do not touch the kids.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Fight
Old 12-10-2014, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I made the mistake one time of physically breaking up the fight. It was between two high school boys. There were five of us adults and I was the only one that took action. After breaking up the fight, I had to explain why I left a rub mark on a student to the board. Let's not consider the fact that he broke the other kid's face. Now, if I witness a fight I yell, throw water, call security. I am trained to fight through my sport, but don't want another visit by the school board.

Oh, and they excused my action as I was a new teacher and the kid I grabbed was not seriously harmed, but I did get a talking to.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

Catch 22
Old 12-10-2014, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Breaking up fights is one of those things that really pisses me off these days, since it seems to be a "damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario." I've known teachers who got investigated and reprimanded for physically breaking up fights. And I've known teachers to be investigated and reprimanded for not breaking up fights.

A teacher in our district got raked over the coals by local media because a kid posted a YouTube video of him standing back and watching a fight in progress. Of course, he actually had done everything right. He'd issued loud verbal warnings for the students to cease and desist. He'd called the office for help. Of course, the students didn't post any of that on YouTube. They just posted two kids punching each other and cut to the teacher standing back and staring helplessly. The comment section of YouTube was populated by outraged parents accusing the teacher of "doing nothing" and ranting about how teachers just don't care what happens to students.

There was a lot of hand wringing by parents saying they wouldn't want their kids looked after by this teacher and that they were scared to send their kids to school and on and on. There was all sorts of armchair quarterbacking and endless pontificating. Should he have jeopardized his own safety to break up the fight? Yes, a majority of posters said. There were a lot of comments to the effect that "he's an adult in a position of responsibility" and pointing out that police and firefighters and other "helping" professionals have to face way worse than a fistfight on a day to day basis. The comments then devolved into a whole lot of union bashing. I wasn't sure how they were drawing a union connection to a fistfight -- I think it was something along the lines of, it should be "common sense" to break up a fight, but union members won't do anything not in their contracts, blah, blah, blah. Naturally, the same outraged parents would be the first to hire a lawyer if their kid's shoulder got dislocated by a teacher breaking up a fight.

It's a major pet peeve of mine, actually, when districts feel the need to act based on "optics" rather than reality, and when teachers get thrown under the bus for doing exactly what they are told to do. My old district was known for offering up occasional sacrifices (of people and policy) on the altar of public opinion.

The thing with fights is that sometimes they are mutual, but sometimes they are just bullying that ends in assault and battery. I once taught a major thug who went off on a much smaller kid and started pounding him in a fit of rage. The provocation? The thug was being belligerent to a teacher in the cafeteria who told him to obey some rule or other. The smaller kid told him to stop causing a scene and just obey the rules. In that case, a few of us pulled him off the smaller kid because we were honestly fearful for the smaller boy's life. I don't regret it, but I do resent the Catch-22 where there's no good outcome for the teacher involved no matter what they do.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote