The VENT

Finished

>

--Thoughts--

--Thoughts--

Finished
Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This will be my last year of teaching because of testing. I just can't do it anymore.

Unrealistic expectations or maybe it's me and I just don't get "it". So confusing!

Once upon a time I thought I was a good teacher.

DH and I argue but I just can't do it anymore. I will scrub toilets if I have to.

I care more about their performance than my students and that is eating me up.

Not enough time in the day.

My health is suffering. Perhaps my sanity, as well. So tired of constant stress.

seventiesgirl

when it is time
Old 03-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is time to leave. It is just not worth your health or sanity. Now is the time to seek other options
I resigned effective May. I just got a job with Sylvan fir tutoring and I will sub next year.
seventiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

Wow my sentiments exactly. I came on
Old 03-06-2015, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

here looking for some solace and direction. I too feel like I can't keep this up anymore. I live school 24/7. I am so tired of all this testing bull####. Like you said, I care more about their performance than the students. They take no ownership for their learning.

Hang in there. Your health and sanity come first. You are making a wise decision.
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

Agree
Old 03-06-2015, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that the whole testing thing has gotten out of control. We aren't even given an actual FULL school year before testing begins. Don't get me started on all the "test prep" and pre-tests we have to give them in advance a few times during the year. When will the powers that be actually ask a teacher or someone who is NOT a politician about what is best for our students? UGH! I have a feeling that after this year, more teachers will be leaving the profession...good, experienced teachers.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

6 days a week
Old 03-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Because of the tests, I have to spend a full Saturday working. This is ridiculous.

TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

This is why
Old 03-06-2015, 10:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

NPR had a segment just this week about how a teacher shortage is now developing around the country. I fervently hope the looming teacher shortage becomes a national crisis. That's the only thing that may, in the end, save our profession and our public schools. Meanwhile, if you care, pay careful attention when you go to vote! And have your friends and family do likewise, if possible. Also, let your representatives know how you feel!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 03-06-2015, 11:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have so many extreme behaviors this year that I might pack it in. I was hoping to teach 9 more years, but I don't know that I have it in me!
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

Testing mania
Old 03-07-2015, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree with you all. The testing is horrible. This week I had to assist with some testing in another's grade and class -- just the pre-testing. I made a "negative" comment to an ed. tech. who works with two children in that class with IEPs. Two were really struggling, and the child I was helping didn't understand any of the test items. The test coordinator overheard me and admonished me about how we need to keep it positive, and how the kids really think the test can be fun, if we speak to them in the right way about it. I feel like I'm in a bad film about thought control!

So, yes, the testing is confusing, and I think the goals are most certainly unrealistic. In the room of 25 I was in, I would say about 1/3 of the kids really knew what to do, and this is a fairly high performing school. Most were playing charades.

I have two bright kids of my own graduating from college, and neither would go into education after what they see me do.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I'm living in a fantasy world.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I still believe that the pendulum will swing back to where we can teach again. I know, I know, that means we would have to get some smart politicians in office. I know that's an oxymoron. But it could happen, right?
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Graphite81

Until
Old 03-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

enough of us rise up against this testing, the publishing companies who own your state reps will continue to pile it on.

Graphite81 is offline   Reply With Quote

unsure819

Old 03-07-2015, 08:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm a para, not a teacher, but I know that testing stresses everyone out. Our school is hosting the ACT this year and almost all Juniors have to take it (I don't think MAPA kids do). After that we have the EOC tests on different subjects. I'm considering whether to go into teaching or not, and all of this new testing is not encouraging. I have heard about how behavior just keeps getting worse. Our school has a few classes that are notorious and they're not in High School yet. A lot of kids and parents just don't care.

There are a lot of positives of teaching, but the negatives keep growing.
unsure819 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

right there with you
Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Well, when kids scores effect our evaluations... I can't blame you!!
OUr 7 year olds had to rate us as to whether or not we are good teachers! WTH???? That is also part of our evaluation. Enough is enough!! STupid!!!!!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

Unsure and Mom
Old 03-08-2015, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I hear ya. One of our district psychologists said that she has noticed an alarming increase in "GADs" - general anxiety disorder diagnoses in the district. She's been doing this for 25 years and has seen it spike since all the testing focus (last 8-10 years).

In this 10 years, have kids gotten any smarter or better off because of it?
allier is offline   Reply With Quote