Help

The VENT

Make-up Work

>

MrsFrazzled

Make-up Work
Old 01-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone else get tired of all the make-up work due to absent students? My school just started a new semester after Christmas break and it is remarkable at how many students have been out multiple days already.

I know the flu season is rampant this year and other viruses are going around. But I donít think all the absences are for that reason.

Plus, we have very bad attendance rates at my school. There are even days that admin tells us not to take attendance so it wonít count against us.

I teach high school science so Iím teaching new material almost every day and I canít keep up with the absences and make up work. Iíve tried a few different things but nothing seems to help. We canít do our jobs of teaching if students arenít there to learn.

If anyone has any suggestions to help, Iíd greatly appreciate it.

MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Your job is to teach
Old 01-27-2018, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The student's job is to learn. They have to put in some effort. That includes finding out what they missed from friends and catching up themselves. I'd have copies of any worksheets they missed, if you do them, and otherwise, put the responsibility back where it belongs, especially at high school level.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

eeza

not taking attendance
Old 01-27-2018, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
There are even days that admin tells us not to take attendance so it won’t count against us.
Is this legal?
eeza is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

hanging file sorter
Old 01-28-2018, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a hanging file sorter on the wall by the door. At the end of the day I put all extra work in that days pocket. It is the students responsibility to get the missing work. It stays in there until the next week when it goes in the recycle bin and the new work goes in. I never reprint anything that is over a week old as we don't take late work more than a week old.

As for not taking attendance, I would not be sharing that around. It is a violation. If your school gets any type of state or federal funding that are cheating by not taking attendance and will get caught. I would not partake in that behavior.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote