The VENT

Home-schooling

>

1Me3Jobs

1Me3Jobs

Home-schooling
Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just feel like if you are going to choose to home-school your children, you need to do it well. I currently have a sixth grader who was home-schooled his entire life. He can't even add by hand accurately 100% of the time, and he has no concept of variables whatsoever.

I'm not against home-schooling. I'm against home-schooling poorly. So now I am working with him independently when I should be grading/planning/etc. because he has a third-and-a-half grade level competency in mathematics. But he is too good of a reader to retain him in fourth grade. Also, he is too old for it maturity-wise.

Don't need advice, just a vent. And also a pat on the shoulder because I am feeling so overwhelmed with my job right now.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I totally understand. We had a 3rd grade come in and she didn't know her colors, shapes, letters, numbers and could barely write her name. Fantastic job homeschooling there mom. Child admitted she did nothing but watch tv all day.

On the other hand, I have 2 friends who are homeschooling and their kids are rock stars. But I bet it has something to do with the fact that they were 2 of the finest teachers I've ever had the pleasure of working with.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

funkster

The oversite for homeschooling
Old 02-02-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

varies from state to state. Some states have good oversight, and state mandated tests to make sure students are preforming up to grade level. Other states have almost nothing at all.
I think states should create good oversight for the homeschooling. Every child deserves a good education.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

TexTeacher

Old 02-02-2018, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’ve BTDT a couple of times. Once the kid caught on super fast which just hacked me off more! He was such a smart boy, but just needed to be taught! When he left us his dad was back to saying they were going to pull him and “homeschool” him again! I’m hoping they left him in school.

Another time we got a student (4th grade) that couldn’t read at all. She didn’t even have a sight word vocabulary. We had to wait pretty much the entire year but eventually we were able to test her because she just wasn’t making any progress even with tons of intervention.
TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Emmy

Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote