Have you ever stopped following someone's career bc of his/her personal life? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Have you ever stopped following someone's career bc of his/her personal life?

>

bookgeek59

Have you ever stopped following someone's career bc of his/her personal life?
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM

My examples:
Tom Cruise. All the Scientology crap is awful to me, and he seems to be their savior.

Bill Cosby. Whether he did assault women or did not, I've tried countless times to watch Cosby Show reruns. All I can think of is that I'm watching a show starring a rapist.

Anyone you've stopped following?

bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

of course
Old 07-09-2018, 11:52 AM

I can't watch Woody Allen movies anymore. I had stopped listening to Michael Jackson when the allegations came out. I like some of Kanye's music, but he's such a putz that I don't listen to him either. There are quite a few...
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Yes
Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM

Probably way too many to remember right now, but I was telling DH that the other day. It's amazing how much their personal life affects the way I feel about their shows. It also happens with the award's shows - when they get on their platform and babble rather than use that time to say thanks, I find myself avoiding anything by them after that.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 07-09-2018, 12:04 PM

Yes. All the time. I just canít support people who hurt others.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM

And I take it personally when someone I liked/admired is revealed to be a criminal. I'm actually glad my papa is dead, because knowing the truth about Bill Cosby would have broken his heart.

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-09-2018, 12:10 PM

I too can't watch Tom Cruise and Bill Cosby. Top Gun, Risky Business, and Cocktail are a few of Tom's movies that I loved as a teen. The Cosby show was a favorite of mine too.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-09-2018, 12:26 PM

Yes.
I never watched Woody Allen movies anyway, but I sure wouldn't now.
I have no interest in watching anything connected to Casey Affleck, James Franco, or Bill Cosby. The first 2 won't ever serve jail time or lose any awards but I can't stand to see their faces onscreen.
Now Tom Cruise is no predator, I just can't take him seriously in a role now. Same with Katie whatshername, seeing either of their faces onscreen just reminds me of their ridiculous sham PR marriage
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-09-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
And I take it personally when someone I liked/admired is revealed to be a criminal.
Me, too, Zia. My mom admired Cosby so for his “interest in education.” I’m so glad she can’t see this.

But it works conversely for me, too. I’ve always admired George Will’s flair with writing, but really disliked what he stood for. Recently I’ve come to admire him for other reasons, too.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM

I used to watch the Roseanne Barr show because I found it to be so real in its depiction of family life and people. Her politics and poor behavior began spiraling out of control though so I lost interest pretty quickly.

Chevy Chase...poorly behaved person in real life ..was funny on stage for awhile
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Mel Gibson. I've never been fond of his movies, but for some reason he popped into my mind when I saw the first post.

I'm sure there are more...

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Kodeco

Kodeco

Old 07-09-2018, 01:31 PM

That whole dog adoption fiasco from way back ruined Ellen Degeneres for me. She was so wrong and it was unfair to use her tv show to tell her story in the manner she did by and sobbing and begging the dog rescue business owner to return the dog to her hair stylstís family (dog had been adopted by Ellen and wife, and they gave dog to stylist when dog didnít work out for Ellen and wife).

Naturally, this resulted in Ellenís huge fanbase getting outraged so that the rescue woman started receiving death threats and her business hounded by the media.

When we hear the other side, it turns out Ellen was the one who broke the terms on the contract. But the damage was done for the rescue owner. The whole story just left a lingering bad impression of her on me, I guess. I used to love Ellen, too!

travelingfar

Celebrities
Old 07-09-2018, 01:33 PM

I watch actors or actresses with messed up personal lives. I have never liked Tom Cruise and have avoided his movies forever.

I love Woody Allen films and still see most of them.

Last edited by travelingfar; 07-09-2018 at 03:09 PM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Gwen Stefani
Old 07-09-2018, 01:46 PM

I was a huge Gwen Stefani and No Doubt fan growing up. Now she seems to be the opposite of everything she was for when she was younger.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

A former principal
Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 PM

Off topic, but I only consider real people.

So, No, because I consider all stars as make-believe and I don't care what they do in their private lives. I do wish they would shut up regarding politics. I consider them as the court jesters, not the wise men.

Just entertain me.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

illinoisteach

yes
Old 07-09-2018, 02:58 PM

I have a hard time separating a person's work from their personal choices. I think it comes down to not feeling right supporting their fame or financial gain when I am so opposed to their actions. Pretty much everyone who has been named I have issues with (hadn't heard the Ellen story though). Even though I don't listen to their music, I will turn the station if Chris Brown or R.Kelly come on- just NO.
illinoisteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

I have a few friends
Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 PM

That insist on bashing, I mean everyday, multiple times Donald Trump. I get that they arenít thrilled he is our President but the things they post are annoying and unnecessary EVERY. SINGLE. DAY!
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

katelaine65

Yep.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 PM

My two are the Dixie Chicks, when they bashed Bush. And Vince Gill when he divorced wife and married Amy Grant. I just could not get past the fact that most of songs were love songs and Amy Grants were Christian music. Odd, it just didn't fit for me anymore.
katelaine65 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Ugh, Tom Cruise. Creepy and also I don't think he's a good actor. He's my #1, no way will I watch him in a movie person. I dislike him so much that pretty much everyone who knows me is aware that I don't like him.

John Travolta has now joined him on my list. Again, creepy (and getting more and more so as he gets older, I feel like) and not a great actor, though I do love Grease.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Mel Gibson and Ellen
Old 07-09-2018, 04:00 PM

Mel's behavior really ruined the Lethal Weapon movies for me.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

noonespecial

Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM

In addition to others mentioned above, I stopped watching the Eagles football team after they hired Michael Vick as the their quarterback. It proved to me the owner and management team only cared about the almighty dollar (yes, I know he did his time, but...).
noonespecial is offline   Reply With Quote

AuntKK

Stealers
Old 07-09-2018, 04:28 PM

I was raised to be a Pittsburgh fan, but after the team covered for Ben Roethlisberger, I refused to root for them. I know he was never convicted, but the evidence and allegations were pretty convincing and the ďmissing video tapeĒ just added to the creepy Pittsburgh thing.
AuntKK is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 PM

I forgot about Mel Gibson....
Hadn't heard that story about Ellen, that is not a flattering anecdote
Talking of sports figures, definitely Ray Rice. I'm not a football fan in any case but was so disgusted by the video of him punching out his wife and dragging her across the floor
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-10-2018, 05:54 AM

I'm not really a huge fan of ANY one celeb. I sure don't idolize or put any of them on a pedestal. I always thought they're people too and put their pants on one leg at a time like the rest of us. I hate a lot of celebs' mentality that just because they're a celeb, they walk on water.

For example, the Cosby Show, I really liked the show itself, but even back then, there was a time when I was sick of seeing Cosby's character on there like he's the ONLY wise one on the show and everyone has to listen to him. Yes, I had bought the DVD of the show series and I'll watch occasionally when in the mood.

Before you know it, with all these men in the entertainment industry getting charged with sexual misconduct, pretty soon, we won't be watching ANYONE if that's the case that we don't watch them due to their personal lives.

Jamie Foxx - Have you heard about him? A lady's saying he smacked or touched her face with his genitals long ago. I'm not going to say I don't believe it in a million yrs and that she's probably out to get his money. He might/could have done it back then.

Morgan Freeman - Have you guys heard about him? He's been doing sexually inappropriate things too and I've seen a couple of videos of him doing it. He looks like some creepy, perverted, old man that you wouldn't want within 100 ft of your female loved ones the way he's talking to and leering at these ladies. Sickening.

Martin Sheen - I never cared for him or sought out his movies or show, but he's such a mess in his real life. I don't see how anyone can watch him at all.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Ugh, I agree with a lot of these...
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM

But I've disliked Bill Cosby waaaayyy before this scandal.

Years ago, he was scheduled for a Stand up gig in our area and the tickets were very high--over $100 for the cheap seats and this was about 20 years ago...that is big bucks considering he was already past his prime by then.

The following morning, there was a fundraiser in our area hosting a brunch in the same hotel he was staying in. Months before the scheduled gig and fundraiser he was approached about saying a few words to the crowd--less than 5-10 minutes. He said that he would--for $40,000...They explained that $40K was actually the estimated total benefit amount projected. Too bad he says--not budging...

I've held it against him since. He could have literally done it on the walk out the hotel to the airport and wouldn't even consider donating his time.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote