The VENT

P didn't like DC's report card

>

!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!

P didn't like DC's report card
Old 03-12-2014, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

You know me. I've signed out before because of the P's child in my class. Well, report cards went home today. A coworker told me the P mentioned to her how everyone in my class got N's (needs improvement). The P was trying to feel better about DC having a full 1/3 of the objectives as N's. DC is way behind. She does all right for where she's at, but she's not near where she needs to be this time of year.

Yes, every child had at least one N...talks to much, repeatedly damages readers taken home, etc. Yes, every child had at least one N.

I sent a note home yesterday about DC trying to read chorally by looking at my face instead of the words. She's trying to memorize what's there to help her read the page later. I know the note went over like a lead balloon, but it needed to be said.

I know they are having 'roast teacher' for supper.

Savvy

coworker's child
Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is tough to have a coworker's child in your class. I hope the P takes a step back and doesn't talk about you. Instead, the P needs to accept where his/her child stands and just work with her. Some kids just need more time. Also, it is unprofessional for the P to look at other people's grades to justify their own child's grades.
Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I know they are having 'roast teacher' for supper.

I can't imagine, nor do I ever want to, have the P's child in my classroom.
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkrobots27

I feel for you.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm also teaching my principal's child. I didn't even realize until the second week of school since I'm new. You definitely feel like you're under a microscope!
pinkrobots27 is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

It can be tough
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had the principal's child, then the principal moved to the middle school and I had one of his children, then he became superintendent and I had another one of his kids. This year I have the child of last year's principal. I can be tough.

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

frame

Great for you!
Old 03-12-2014, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It sounds like your doing your job. You're making them aware of what's going on in the classroom. You're letting them know exactly what she needs to be working on with Reading. Give yourself a pat on the back!! He "Should" be thanking you for doing your job and and greatful that you care! I'm trying to imagine the flip side to this. What if you said nothing? Let her continue to talk, damage materials, etc. Don't say anything about her reading or being behind. Then, what would he say? I do think that if he has a problem with his child's performance that he should address it with you. Keep doing what you know is right. Eventually, he will see what you are saying.
frame is offline   Reply With Quote
!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks to all of you.
I know I'm teaching her well, but have yet to be thanked for all I've done...and it's a lot! I'm sorry the child will suffer because of the parents' pride.

crzytchr1

Old 03-12-2014, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Bless you! Frame was right. You are doing a great job, and parents need to know what their children need to work on. P needs to realize that his child is not entitled to special treatment. DC doesn't sit on the right hand of the Father! He/she is a child, and children aren't perfect. If my kid was in my class, I'd probably be harder on him than if he were in anyone else's class.

I put lots of comments on my students' report cards/midterms. I'm pretty sure they've had roast teacher, and dart boards with my picture on them

Keep up the good work and remember why you chose to be a teacher. Your kids are lucky to have you!
crzytchr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Ahh...
Old 03-12-2014, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

AHHH! In my opinion (and I mean no direspect to those who think differently than me-no judgment or criticism either), but I think it's best if principal's/superintendent kids attend another school or district (school for principal sake, different district for superintendent sake). I know they will then get flaq for not supporting the school, not believing in it enough to send their children their, etc., but at the same time, I think it can prevent situations like this!

In the district where I grew up, the superintendent was hated by many teachers. He had a son in high school, and while I hope his teachers still treated him right, I often heard his teachers bash the superintendent like none other. The kid was a few years younger than me, but I always felt bad for the kid, wondering what it must be like! And now as a teacher, if I had a principal or superintendent's kid, I'd feel like I'd be watched like a hawk even more so! I'd worry what WOULD be part of evaluation and what wouldn't!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Your poor thing! I couldn't imagine having P's child in my class. That (IMO) shouldn't even be allowed. Her child should be sent to a completely different school.

penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Although sending the child to a different school is a good idea, around here it wouldn’t work. I am in a rural area. District boundaries are huge Poor kids already have an hour bus ride. I say keep doing your job. Your principal knows you are doing your best. I think he/she would be more upset if you showed favoritism.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote