The VENT

just have to get it out! (it is long)

>

1/2 venting

1/2 venting

just have to get it out! (it is long)
Old 11-12-2009, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a regular poster, but wanted to sign out for this.
This is my second year of teaching and I am already feeling like a failure. I had a very hard group last year, they made their kindergarten teacher retire and put me in the hospital due to stress and migraines. This years group has its short comings, but I can say that this group is better than last years group, I haven't been in the hospital yet. I teach a combined 1st/2nd grade class and most of the really hard kids that I had last year did not return for 2nd grade this year. I have a few that came back and out of those two are tough. The worst one of the bunch was there until the end of September, when he was suspended from the bus and mom took him to another school. One student came back because I talked mom in to keeping him at the school because I knew that he and his older sister would not thrive in the other school that they were going to go to (I did internships at the school and it was a bad environment), he is on an IEP only because I referred him last year. Now I wish that he had gone somewhere else because he is worse this year. He is always in other students faces and other kids don't like him (they say he is a bad kid). He is really kind and sweet, but he is constantly setting the other kids off and bothering them when he is in the room because has no clue how to be with others and I have to stop what ever I am doing to remove him from the area when he is in the room. He shows signs of autism and cannot stay focused more than two seconds, but mom doesn't want to acknowledge his problems. I have another second grader that is very impulsive, takes other kids things, will not sit for very long, has no attention span, and consistently defies what I tell him to do and again the parent is not willing to do anything (his younger brother is the same way, yea for me if I am his teacher next year ). On top of these two I have three first graders that are ruining it for the whole group. They just play all the time and are constantly interrupting my lessons. I separate them when I do my lesson on the floor, but somehow they find each other and start playing and interrupt the lesson, so I am always having to stop what I am doing to discipline them. One of these students shows sign of autism, but he is "normal" according to his parents and grandparents. Another has numerous problems, but mom doesn't want to do anything until February because she is comparing him to his autistic sister and apparently this was her magical month. The third one is very bright, but defiant and doesn't do much work for me. I have also had to remove two of these students from the classroom several times within the past two weeks because of their behavior. I have referred all three first graders for services. I have tried individual discipline plans, the card system, and notes home, but stopped because I got tired of writing the same things over and over again. Even positive praises and rewards do not motivate them to pay attention and do better.
The speech teacher who is there once a week came in last week to observe a student that I had concerns about and she saw these kids in action. She used to be a SPED teacher and when I was talking to her about this student, she started to point out the issues the other kids had (only to confirm my suspicions) and said that four of those students need to be in a self contained classroom.
I feel like all my attention is going to these five students and the eleven others in the room are being neglected. Even though the other students in my room have attention issues, they are not as bad as these 5. I know the others are learning something in spite of these kids because of their test scores, but I don't feel like I am doing anything. My principal thinks highly of me and I was recently honored for my work.
I knew some of the challenges that I would face when I went into teaching (I was an assistant in kindergarten and preschool), but I just didn't think that it would be this bad. I am about ready to say I am done. I teach in a charter school, so I understand that we get kids that generally would not fit in a regular public school, but this is too much for a teacher that is not certified in SPED.

BigwigRabbit

Hey
Old 11-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hey you looked lonely here. I've got nothing to say, but Frederich Nietzsche does:

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Hang in there. In a few years it'll be war stories you tell the new people.
BigwigRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote