Help

The VENT

absent student

>

maryteach

absent student
Old 01-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

There is a girl, supposedly in my class, who has been absent at least 75% of this school year. 75%!!! We've even called social services about it. There's a compulsory attendance law, you know. Well, today all this girl's teachers get an email from the counselor--mom wants to know how her daughter is doing in school!

How can she be serious? Yes, she's custodial mom; she's the one who calls the girl in every day of her life.

I felt like responding that I don't know the child--name sounds sort of familiar, but I can't place her. Sheesh!

maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

DiDi

DiDi

Becca Bill?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ugh I hear you. Last year, I had a 6th grade girl whose mom made her stay home to babysit her little brother and sister (toddler and infant). What a sad situation. The student was really bright, but failing, due to her high absence rate. She also was nurturing an anger problem (as anybody who is 11 to 12 would be if they were asked to fill an adult's shoes). Then again, what was her family to do without the money for proper childcare? We reported to CPS but dad got new orders that moved them to a new state midyear (we draw a lot of our students from the local military base.) So nothing happened!

Long story short, what I'd write to the counselor to tell mom: "Hard to tell. She's here too rarely to demonstrate mastery of our daily learning targets!"