Help

The VENT

I can't take it personally

>

School Time

I can't take it personally
Old 01-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have to remember that it isn't me, it's them. Today, the district math supervisor came to observe a lesson. It was a good lesson--manipualtive coins, Smartboard. I walked around, trying to keep the kids on task. They were good, for them, but many of them just don't focus and pay attention. At the end, he was complimentary about the lesson and how I tried to keep everyon involved, but asked to speak to them. He said that they did a good job but he thought they could do even better. He offered them a reward: I'll keep track of the days they pay attention during math and do well for a reward from him later this year. I don't really want to keep track of this and I doubt it will make a difference.

During the lesson, we were trying to figure out a word problem. If you have 28 cents in your bank and you want 30 cents, how many pennies would you need. If A (used a kid's name) took out a penny, how much money would you have (29 cents). No problem. Then if B took out a penny, how much money would you have? No problem, 30 cents. OK--then if A and B each took out a penny, how many pennies would that be (2). Blank look. ARGGG!

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

lucky

I would send
Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

him an email stating (in as nice a way as possible) that I do not offer extrinsic motivations to my students for "paying attention," which is and should be an expectation for every student. If I were incrediblely brave, I might tell him my students aren't trained seals and to clear it with you next time he gets a "bright idea" such as this. What a buffoon!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

you're right, don't take it personally
Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It sounds like he is just a nice man trying to help you out. I wouldn't say anything to him unless he brings it up again, but I wouldn't officially keep track. I'm glad your lesson went well.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
...[he] asked to speak to them. He said that they did a good job but he thought they could do even better. He offered them a reward: I'll keep track of the days they pay attention during math and do well for a reward from him later this year.
I know he was just being nice, but this would have bothered me, too. I don't like it when people want to speak to the class and I don't know what they're going to say. He also was putting more of a load on you and didn't even ask if you'd like/consider to do it. I'd hate to try to keep up with what he wanted.

I'm glad the lesson went well. He could see you did a great job.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I feel your pain. I had someone come in to observe and she offered a reward to one of my kids (knowing nothing about him or the situation) and then said, "If it's ok with you," AFTER she already promised him the reward which put me in the position of EITHER saying yes or being the bad guy. I HATE when admin does stupid things like this.

Good luck with your decision. I'm not sure I would have the guts to e-mail, but I hope you do.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sounds like a fine lesson to me! When is the last time this man spent any length of time in lower elementary or any time? What grade is this? I would roll my eyes (with them closed of course) and go about your year. I think he was trying to be nice and will likely forget he even made that promise.
rhubarb is online now   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Hey--just wait a week or two
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

then email him that they have ALL been paying attention soooo welll. "By the way, they want you to show them a movie as their reward." Then pick the longest movie you can find and invite him in to host it while you enjoy those hours somewhere else...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

I was actually thinking of the kids
Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I was thinking about the kids not paying much attention. It was a good lesson. He said if they didn't pay attention to it, they wouldn't pay attention to anything. He ofered chico or chicko sticks. I looked them up. They have peanut butter. I have someone who is allergi. He can be near it but not eat it.

99 days left.

Thanks for your support!

Last edited by School Time; 01-13-2010 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: added something
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

Well intentions...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

No good deed goes unpunished - and so I think I'd wait for him to get back to me. *IF* he remembers to contact you for the information then i'd give him a general idea. I'd say they have improved or they have not shown improvement. i woudl nto keep actual data, BUT if he wants to reward them let it be on HIM. This was HIS idea and I'd let him "reap" all the benefits. If he remembers and follow sthrough great - it will get better behavior (maybe) for you and it will build his relationship w/ the students. if he forgets the kids WILL remember and in my experience will ask him about it and/or loose faith in him. it wasn't fair of him to create work for him and so i would not do any data tracking or reminding for him - but i think this was just a well intentioned try on his part.