The VENT

Word Slip...oops!

>

WeAreOne

Word Slip...oops!
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi guys!

Today I had two boys who were driving me crazy with their chattering back and forth during a lesson. One student is quick to catch on, the other...not so much (so he REALLY should have been focused).

I first gave them the "teacher look" - they looked at each other like A few minutes later, they began chatting again. This time, I firmly reminded them to make smart choices about their learning. Well, a bit after that, I noticed them making eye contact again.

Our school is on the "moving clips" behavioral system and I meant to say, "The next time I see you making those silly faces at one another, you may move your clips. You're choices tell me that you don't care about your learning." Instead, I said, "The next time I see you making those STUPID faces at one another..."

I know people have made much worse slips - but, yikes I haven't ever said that word around kids, much less when addressing them! Do you think I make a boo-boo??? A parent of one of the students is a bit of a PITA.

WeAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote

chad17

I'd think you're OK
Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You didn't call the kids stupid. You were describing the faces; and they probably were stupid! I think I've seen them before!
chad17 is offline   Reply With Quote

christina4062

It happens!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We wrote persuasive letters to "Old Man Winter" today and the kids had to take persuade him to leave or stay for longer. During the explaining part of the project, they got really into the "voice" they were going to use in their letters. I can't tell you how many times I almost said "Yeah, tell him to get the hell out of here!" when chiming in ideas for what they could say to him!
christina4062 is offline   Reply With Quote

Balloony

Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Years ago, when I was doing my student teaching, I sat in and observed a 4th grade social studies class. The teacher was talking about Ponce DeLeon. She asked, "Where did he get shot?" And, one little boy, who was probably just waiting for this opportunity, yelled out, "They shot his (rhymes with decker) off!" As you can imagine, the class erupted in giggles, and she couldn't regain control for several minutes. Then the never-say-die teacher continued the lesson. She was very specific in her next question, "Where was Ponce DeLeon when he was shot?" The little boy was about to erupt again, and who knew what was about to come out of his mouth, so she said, "And Billy, if you say one word, I'm going to cut it off!" Freudian slip--she meant to say that she would cut his tongue out. (She was something of a smartalek herself.) Anyway, as the class erupted again, and she just looked at me and said, "Oh, ####." (Later on, she did go talk to the principal, who laughed it off, and thanked her for telling her about the situation, and she never got in trouble for that particular lesson.)

Anyway, my point is, there are much worse slips than "stupid," so don't worry.
Balloony is offline   Reply With Quote

Dixiecup

]#$it happens!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I was a practicum student I was in a lower income school working in a 4th grade room. My very first video taped lesson, I was aiming to teach them some poetry. I used a poem from the guest teacher's materials (so nice of her). Proceeded to start the lesson (with video tape), and announced we were going to read a poem about the itchy ball tree. Yep. It's on tape. One of the kids fell out of his seat.

Last edited by Dixiecup; 01-14-2010 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: I can't spell or speak..yikes.
Dixiecup is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

DixieCup
Old 01-14-2010, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I really needed a good laugh today! Thanks so much for your post!
ZipLine is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Old 01-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Don't worry about it.
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

NYshopgirl

Old 01-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Today one of my very sweet 2nd grade girls asked me for a band-aid. I was digging through drawers and couldn't find any. Finally I said "ughh CRAP I can't find any!" She just smiled and said "it's okay" in a very sweet little voice. I hope she doesn't tell her mom!
NYshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

HBteach

Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You all have me in stitches!!

When I first started working eons ago a first grade teacher told us that she got frustrated and said he**. At that time we had just installed intercoms in the rooms. Shortly after her slip the principal called her to his office. She immediately started explaining herself and why she slipped, etc. The principal just gave her a perplexed look. Come find out he hadn't heard a thing and wanted to talk to her about a project he wanted her to work on.

Guilt will do it every time!

Don't worry. You're fine.
HBteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Jade

Stupid
Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I tell my students that "stupid" means knowing better and doing something anyway. For example, stupid is standing in busy traffic--IF you should really be able to understand the consequences of your actions. Stupid is putting your hand on a burner you know is hot. Stupid is continuing to make faces when you know your teacher has told you not to.

So--stupid IS all about choices and consequences!

I once was explaining to class that someone was moving fast. Fortunately I caught myself just in time as I said, "He was going like a bat out of.....(red alert, brain going off, bad word coming, abort, abort)...................the attic!"

Today we were having fun with alliteration and one of the students wrote a sentence about Pecker Parrot. I assume he meant because birds peck at seed, but I wasn't about to a question it further!!

Jade is offline   Reply With Quote

breezey

new student...
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have a new student and he is quite take with the music I play- he has made several "requests". But my favorite is the following:
"Can you play Crazy As Hell? It does not have one bad word in it!" It was all I could to do to not make a comment! My fellow teacher said I should have replied "Hell No!"
breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

bmcgee81

We've all done it
Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I taught 4th grade last year at a tough school in my district. I had one kid who just drove me nuts, he was considered the worst kid in the school. Well one day he was annoying me so I told him I was sick and tired of his B.S.(thankfully I said B.S. and not the actual word) Oops!!!
bmcgee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
barbara s

barbara s

I've said worse
Old 01-15-2010, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Yeah, I agree with a PP that stupid described the faces, not the kids. You're fine. My transgression occurred in the fall when I subbed in sixth-grade SS, and the kids were making posters. Glitter! Glue! Aaacckk... A few classes had finished and propped posters around the classroom to dry. Then came a study hall (which of course I knew nothing about before it showed up--grrr). After about only five minutes, I spotted a kid who had barricaded himself among several posters in the back of the room. I moved the posters and told him to go sit down--and realized I'd stuck my hand in wet, gluey, gold glitter...and then brushed it onto my new BLACK sweater. "Damn it!" I said. And of course suddenly realized what I'd said. I wrote a note to my supervisors on that one. She said don't worry, and I haven't heard anything about it, but....ohhhh.....

crackerjill

Oh, I think I can top them all.....
Old 01-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

It was the day before Christmas break and I'd had it with my kids, and the whining and the utter lack of self control they'd all had leading up to the break. We were walking down the hall, my class in line with me to the side watching them walk (and a parent-not one of my kids parents, Thank God- across my line waiting to walk). Well one little girl gets out of line and comes up to me and leadingly says "i'm thirsty". Well they know not to talk in the hallway and not to get out of line, and before I could even think about what was coming out of my mouth I looked at her and said "well that sucks." I almost DIED. I looked up at the parent and just stared at her and she stared back and then I quickly covered and said "stinks", but OMG, I thought I was going to get called to the principals office FOR SURE!
crackerjill is offline   Reply With Quote

Speced9

Yep, I said it....
Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I've only let a word slip once in my school. Thank goodness no one was around when I did.

The bathroom closest to my classroom is shared by two kindergarten classes. It's always kind of a controlled zoo at best and you often have little ones in there changing their clothes in a stall because of "accidents".

One afternoon on my prep, I decided to use the kids' bathroom because the one in the lounge was occupied. When I do this, I always use a stall for privacy. As soon as I stepped in, I felt a squish under my feet. Yep. You guessed it. I had just stepped on a turd. (Can you say turd on PT? I guess I'll find out.)

Then, it just popped out.... "YOU GOTTA BE F***IN' KIDDING ME!"

I'll spare you the details of the clean up process, but let's just say that I had to psych myself into believing that I had doggy doo on my shoe in order to keep from blowing chunks. Oh, and they were new shoes too!
Speced9 is offline   Reply With Quote