Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

yelling?

>

yelling?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has been a rough year with several challenging children ( I love this site because I realize I am not the only one!!!). Today I have my final evaluation with new principal. She asked me how the "classroom community" was in my class. I do have behavior plans for my disruptive students and keep in touch with parents by email and phone. So imagine my surprise when she said that I had "lost touch" with my kids and parents were concerned that I was "yelling" in class. HA Ha Ha! I have never yelled: I have the patience of Job and can wait for kids to calm down. I learned many years ago that the more you yell, the less they pay attention to what you are saying. So this is a made up lie! I think she just wants me to believe that she is "keeping up" with what is happening in the classroom. She even had the AP sitting in on the conference, and she had nothing to say (she knew it was made up too probably)..
I have 2 years left. Are they trying to give me a message?

Hideeho

I wish there was another way to say this
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Are they trying to give me a message?
Yes.

because of
Quote:
I have 2 years left.
An example of their message
Quote:
She even had the AP sitting in on the conference
The AP
Quote:
had nothing to say
because she was there either as a witness or to intimidate.

You can turn this around by planning some big to-do that would involve inviting parents and the media. I'm not in favor of the dog and pony show idea, but this is one way to show your principal that you are in touch with your kids.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's simply shocking that people can lie like that right to your face. It happened to me all year. I finally got a taperecorder and started recording things. In Georgia, you can record a conversation without the other person's consent as long as you are a part of the conversation.

The principal tried to tell me that I wasn't contributing to planning and that the other teachers were complaining about it. I said, "Really? Why don't I play the tape for you?" He then quickly dropped it. I guess he was surprised that I had proof that I had led the meeting. I now know that it was one teacher, his little favorite, who ....well, long story.

I don't know why they lie. Is it bullying? Is it trying to get rid of the "old guard" so the principal can hire new ones to "mold" to her liking? Document everything you can and remain calm in the meetings....at least outwardly calm. Look her right in the eye and tell her that she has mistaken you for someone else. You'll make it two years.
timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Staff members at my school were told not to say, "Be Quiet" to students. None of the staff had yelled at the students. Perhaps they raised their voices to be heard over the din, but neither was being abusive. One of two is a senior staff member. Several of us are concerned that he is being targeted simply because he is close to retirement.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

yelling continued
Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I thnik it is for intimidation. The new principal has made several comments about my "years of experience" and I think she is trying to push me out. After thinking about it all afternoon, AP was there as a witness I'm sure. AP has been very supportive with these very
difficult children and knows how hard I am trying to keep them engaged in the classroom. So I guess the first matter is to document today's meeting and what was said. Then document all phone calls and notes sent home. I am sure I will be placed on some type of action plan since I was maked as needs improvement.
This is so unrealisitc, it's not even funny. I am well respected in the community and the school. Last year I received the highest marks from the principal and have for many years.
Oh well, breathe deeply. It's going to be a long year.

klarabelle

Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I personally think that a lot of time Ps are intimidated by teachers who know their craft. I think because they can give subjective observations they do. I would not let it effect me, it is what it is. You and others know the type of teacher you are, so be proud of yourself. Your P is the one with the problem.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Let the union know what is happening.
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

So sorry...
Old 04-28-2012, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! It's not right!

One of my biggest beefs with this situation (and with so many other administrators) is why did she wait until your final evaluation to tell you? If it was a big deal to her, she should have told you as soon as she got a complaint!

Open communication...
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 04-28-2012, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I KNOW a P will make these things up w/experienced teachers! I've survived by flying below the radar. The P never sees me unless I want him to see me. I don't go out of my way to go to the office. I'm doing my job, engaging w/my kids, handling my own discipline, loving them after the discipline and teaching them everything I can before the year ends. When the year ends, I outta there! I'm retiring earlier than I have to, but I get my full retirement. So take that, all you bully Principals!!!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Old 04-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have read about this abuse of experienced teachers so much since it happened to me. I just don't get it. I keep up with new curriculum, and do the "dog and pony" shows with anchor charts and posting standards and commentary, and my scores are very good. I volunteer to lead meetings and I give inservices. I am well-respected in the community and have lots of requests. Why do I get put on a bogus action plan? Why do WE get harrassed?

It makes no sense. I had a chance to move up to administration and I chose to stay in the classroom. But if I had, I wouldn't have acted this way at all. There has got to be more people who feel the way I do and choosing to be a bully has got to be something not normal. Or is there something in management courses that I don't know?

Mouth shut, trust no one, be friendly, and be efficient. That might get you through the next few years.

timeforbed is online now   Reply With Quote

volstate

Old 04-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with your second post. Document, document, document. That is what I always tell new teachers I work from the beginning. Amazing what versions of events people will spin and tell.
volstate is offline   Reply With Quote

funkster

I hear you...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The PTO went to my first graders and asked what does your teacher say a lot. So, they said, "Be quiet" They put that as a quote in the year book. Besides being annoyed I couldn't stop laughing. I worked with a speech pathologist for a few years and I never, ever say that. She gave me other options that I have used for the past 20 years. Mostly I say, Make silence before we leave the room. etc.
And yes, sometimes I yell. I usually stand in the room and say-"I'm here, here I am, look over here! Did I become invisible again?" The kids find this absolutely hysterical, and I have their complete attention. Yes, I yell. I am never angry.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

still trying to figure it out
Old 04-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thanks everyone. I still have not been able to pinpoint what exactly is happening, but I can see that the handwriting is on the wall. I think I will make a copy of all the parent comments on the most recent report cards, and continue to hold my head high. I do try to stay off the radar, but for some reason I am being targeted.

beagles2

Old 04-29-2012, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Every year I have kids tell me they were 'scared' to be in my class because I 'yell.'

What I've come to understand is that I'm strict and I have expectations, and those who aren't doing what they are supposed to do have a consequence. I'm consistent.

I do more fun projects, give out more fun rewards, and have more laughs with my class than any other teacher in my grade level. Still, I have this reputation.

Every year kids tell me they were scared to have me as a teacher because of how mean they thought I was, but they were wrong! They tell me I'm nice and they're having a fun year.

EVERY YEAR this happens!

So to me, 'yelling' means different things to different people. It may have nothing at all to do with the volume or tone of your voice.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Good point!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Good point, Beagles! My class is the same way...we must be a lot a like!

I have on student who, when he gets in trouble, yells that he hates me and that I'm his worst teacher ever (on good days, I'm his most favorite teacher). He says he hates me because when he does something wrong, there is always a consequence...novel concept, huh?

Next year, I'll probably be a different grade level, most likely 3rd. One of my students said to a second grader, "Do you want her as a teacher next year? She's really nice and really fun, as long as you do what is expected! But if you don't...LOOK OUT!" HAHA!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

1495- write a formal rebuttal
Old 04-29-2012, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In my district we are told to write a formal rebuttal letter to be attached to any write-up that we disagree with. Find out if that is something you should do to protect yourself. We have 10 days to do that. Check with your union rep. If your P knows you will stand up for yourself, and you'll get the union involved, she may back off. Good luck- you can do this for 2 more years.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

iowa

Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Tell your principal that you need her to show you "how to do it right, the way she likes it done." Ask her to model the behavior for you by teaching a class while you take notes. You are entitled to "retraining" if the principal doesn't think you are meeting the standards.
iowa is offline   Reply With Quote

aeiouteach

Excellent Advice
Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I agree with the other posters. I am so sorry you are having to deal with this, especially with only 2 yrs to go. It is highly unprofessional and completely unnecessary. Hold your head high and teach your heart out! Please keep us posted.
aeiouteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

I feel for you
Old 05-01-2012, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I've been accused of "yelling" at kids on several occasions, which is odd, because I never raise my voice. Ever. It's funny how kids can perceive a serious tone or a teacher who means business as "yelling." Many students would swear on a stack of Bibles that such-and-such a teacher was "yelling" at them, even if the teacher's voice had actually lowered in decibels. "Yelling" is often code for any form of reprimand.
Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

txmagistra

I have a student
Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

who a few times this past year would say "you yelled at me!" if I reprimanded him for anything. I would tell him, "no I didn't, but I did correct you...reprimand you...stop you...etc..." whatever it is I did. To him, yelling was what happened when he was in trouble whether or not I raised my voice.
txmagistra is offline   Reply With Quote