The VENT

Professional Growth Plan for Improvement

>

1styear101

1styear101

Professional Growth Plan for Improvement
Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year of teaching. I learned today the principal will put me on an improvement plan for classroom management for the end of the year through next year. What does this mean in terms of job security? In addition, she told me I must come up with things (wasn't specific) for the plan before our meeting at the end of the week. What type of things is she looking for? Thanks!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, if it's through next year I would take that as a good sign. It means she's willing to invest in you and your improvement. Improvement plans aren't the end of the world and they're not a death sentence to your career; especially as a first year teacher.

If you have a mentor, talk to her. If you don't, I would definitely put that as one of the things that would help you improve. Also, look at your management; where are the areas that you're struggling? Transition? Discipline (Too much? Not enough?) What have you tried? What do your teammates/colleagues do? I would look at a colleague who you think has great management and pick his/her brain. I would pick one or 2 areas to focus on for your improvement; if you make it too big you're going to fail. Pick the one or 2 areas of classroom management that you think need the most improvement and focus on those.

Also, read some books (I LOVE "Love and Logic", especially for the older kids) for some ideas. That would be something else for the meeting: come in with ideas and ask her what she would recommend.

I think she was nonspecific because she wanted you to come up with ideas for you to use for improvement.

Good luck.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

wordygirl

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you sure that you have been singled out? Professional growth plans are just one mode of professional development.
wordygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 02-28-2013, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ask her if she could recommend some professional development seminars on classroom management. Some of our newer teachers have attended a CHAMPS training. I'm not sure what all is involved but you could probably Google it. Have you heard of Class Dojo? It is a computerized behavioral management program where the students are awarded positive and negative points. Check it out.
gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

nbcteacher

Growth Plan
Old 02-28-2013, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Usually teachers on Growth Plans have a support team identified. Maybe your mentor, union rep, or instructional coach could provide support. One thing I would do is ask to observe a master teacher and see how he/she handles rituals and routines, transitions, classroom set up, movement patterns and so on. There is lots of information on different types of classroom management that you can look up on line. The Teaching Channel has wonderful videos of all kinds of teaching situations. You can sign up for a free membership.

nbcteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Visit other teachers to see their plan working.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Set goals and objectives
Old 03-01-2013, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

But not too many. It would be easy to list tons of things and overload yourself and not accomplish anything. Pick your top two or three targets, and list them in very broad terms. Then break then down into specific objectives that will help you reach the goals. Adding a deadline for each objective is a good idea too. Once you hit a goal, you can add another goal to the list.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

ahawk11

fishy
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This sounds fishy to me. ALL first year teachers suck in the classroom management department. There really isn't a way to teach those skills in a college setting. Most principals know this and will give you a heads up to improve by your 2nd year before putting you on a plan.

Check out The First Days of School by Harry Wong. Awesome stuff. There is a DVD with most copies. The DVD is of his seminar. It's great too and makes following along in the book easier.

Document EVERYTHING. I am suspicious for you. Make a dated list with all the strategies you tried, how they worked, and your honest reflection regarding how they work for you. The best system in the world is just another silly bulletin board of it doesn't work with you and your style.

I tried EVERYTHING under the sun. I know my faults and I admit to lacking consistency. Because of this a 'flip the card' thing doesn't work for me. I found something else that did work though and despite my lack of consistency I have pretty good classroom management. Find what works for you.
ahawk11 is offline   Reply With Quote

ChiTeach04

Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My two book suggestions would be the First Six Weeks of School by Paula Denton and Roxann Kriete and Teach Like a Champion.
ChiTeach04 is offline   Reply With Quote