Substitute Teachers

Crazy classes, but no stress at day's end

>

bearcat5567

bearcat5567

Crazy classes, but no stress at day's end
Old 12-17-2013, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The plan today was to be an EC floater at a title 1 middle school. Instead, I got placed in 7th grade Science. I did not know that the teacher left in October, and they had yet to find anyone (a student said the longest they were with an individual sub was one week). At this point, I knew it would be impossible to keep control (especially with no real lesson). So I had the usual throwing things, cursing, no work, leaving the class, etc. I had a lot more patience than I should have, but I was able to leave at day's end feeling unstressed b/c I did not overexert myself. If this were a regular teacher out for just one day, my approach would've been totally different.

So my question - has anyone ever had that "day from hell," yet feel unstressed at day's end?

Sublime

Yes
Old 12-17-2013, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

when I decided never to return to that school. Junior high, terrible classes, almost cried, called the office to have someone come up because it was that bad. Decided at the end of the day I would not work at that school again, end of story.
Sublime is online now   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Yes
Old 12-18-2013, 02:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you realize that there's nothing you can do, it's not your fault the class is crazy, and you make it your goal for them not to burn down the building or kill each other. Yes, I have left feeling that's all I can do and I was not stressed. I think you are taking a positive attitude to the situation. Those kids have had no stability in their classroom, and it's an urban situation, so of course they would be exhibiting those types of behaviors. I have been in situations where their "norm" is loud,and so I didn't waste my breath all day trying to make them be quiet. I went with it. I just spoke in my normal voice, when I needed to gave a signal, but otherwise had my individual conversations with students and got them going on projects. I say if you can handle inner city environments and leave unstressed then you are a huge asset as a sub. I just want to say Kudos to you!
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

piddleloop

Old 12-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

i work in a High school sure i have lots of days where a period can go totally crazy town (full moon) and not ruin my day or stress me at all.

That's a pretty good day usually.
piddleloop is offline   Reply With Quote

candiedapple

Old 12-18-2013, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes....I don't blame myself and I make a mental note to put the blame where it belongs...on them.

candiedapple is offline   Reply With Quote