Help

Substitute Teachers

Want to get out of long term sub assignment

>

CAsub

Want to get out of long term sub assignment
Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I took on a long term sun assignment at a school that I like very much. However, it's for study hall class, and I was originally told it was going to be 3 weeks, but then I was told they filled me in for 5 weeks. Okay, no biggie. Except I found out that instead of getting paid the base pay for 7 hours that I'd get for a full day of subbing, I'm only getting paid for 5 hours because it's a different classified position, so they don't expect me to stay during my prep periods, whereas the other subs, they do.

Anyways, I have been weighing the pros and cons to this assignment, because I really want to get out of it.

Here are the pros:

-I don't have to keep looking for a job everyday (it's a web based system for jobs)
-I know what my schedule will be like for awhile
-the job itself is really easy and not much is expected of me
-The kids are for the most part, pretty well behaved
-There's no guarantee I'd find work everyday; even if I did, the only job that might come up could be a half day, which is 3 hours of pay, so my 5 hours is still more
-Because I don't have a first period, they don't expect me to get to school until second period, allowing me to get a little more sleep
-There's no 7th period, so I can leave before I get stuck in traffic
-This is at my favorite school, because all of the other schools have really snobby staff everywhere I go-I actually have people who talk to me and actually say hi to me when I arrive at the office.

Now, the cons:

-Not getting paid for a full day
-it's in a roped off section in the library-the librarian and her assistant and I do NOT get along. They are always yelling at me and micromanaging me ,ie, a kid pulls out their cell phone, they come running over telling me to tell them to put it away. I understand they shouldn't be on their phones/talking, but the thing is, since I'm the sub I should be able to decide what I am okay with and not okay with. The class is STUDY HALL. They do not even get a grade. It's just a placeholder for kids who drop a class and don't need to take another class in it's place.
-I don't get my own set of keys because the library is open all day, EXCEPT at lunch time, the librarian just locks the door a minute after the bell rings because she doesn't want to do her job and let kids in at lunch when they should be allowed to....therefore if I leave to go use the restroom or something, I get locked out, so I have to end up timing my breaks so that I don't get locked out.
-There is no brain stimulation for me. It's incredibly boring. I'd really much rather be teaching than sitting at the computer.

After this week, I have another TWO weeks of this. This is my third week. Fellow and former subs, in this situation, would you keep the job and just stick it out? Or, would you see if you can get out of it?

I just don't think I can do this for another two weeks. Plus I want to get paid more.

If you would get out of it, how should I go about it? I was thinking of just e-mailing the district/e-mailing the school saying that starting next week, my personal schedule has changed and there may be a few days here and there where I might not be able to come in, so it might be best if I just went back to taking sub assignments as they come up than be tied down...that way, if and when other jobs come up and I take them they won't think it's weird or look down upon it.

I suppose I could just tell them the truth and tell them that I just don't like it, but I REALLY don't think that they'd appreciate it. But honestly, because this class isn't even for a grade, before I started subbing for this assignment, they just had the librarian or the librarian's assistant sub or have random subs come in...and I get the school probably wants to keep the same sub for the kids sake...but honestly, after this week I'll have been there for 3 weeks. They also said they weren't sure when the regular teacher was coming back-I fear at the end of it, they'll ask me to keep going with it. I figure it may be best to just try and get out of it now.

CAsub is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 01-28-2014, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would tell them you can not keep working at a reduced wage. I've dropped an assignment before, explained the situation, and the sub company was okay with that. They will just re-post it as a two week assignment. I wouldn't stay unless you think. you might have difficulty finding other jobs.
StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CAsub

Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You know, I really don't have issues finding jobs. There are only 5 schools in the district, and yet its RARE when I go a day without work. Because for this kind of position, it was through one database, and the one for regular classroom positions, I can see see openings, so I already booked 3 days for next week, just in case I do decide to get out of it.

I think maybe I will go with the reduced wage as my reason. It's the truth, among other reasons.
CAsub is offline   Reply With Quote