Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Threat from student

>

Threat from student
Old 09-26-2015, 04:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student with a list of mental/learning issues and he is medicated. This week I caught him cheating. That set him off. He then got in "everyone hates me mode" he then made a serious threat towards the school. In which if carried out would make national news. He has an older brother in high school. This brother also has issues. So, I'm pretty sure the resources are there. I emailed the VP about what happend and got no response. I printed it out and wrote "no reply" so I do have that documentation. I then took the child to the principal and she didn't take it seriously. It makes me angry to think she didn't even think anything of it. I called his mom and she brushed it off. I'm so pissed!

Mshope

No Reply
Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know what grade this is or what type of school. However, I think we have moved past the "zero tolerance" to looking at things on a case by case basis. If this is a second grader, I can see the administration not calling in the police. However, if the student is older, it would be a serious issue. If one of my students made a serious threat, I would immediately call the office and say, "Send up a principal." If no one was available, I would call guidance. We do have our principals cell numbers so I would also send them a text. This is something that would need to be dealt with ASAP. Emails can get overlooked. Our secretaries would be right on this, too.

You said that the student was caught cheating. At my school, that is usually bounced back as, "Why did the student feel the need to cheat? What could you do to help the student? Did the assessment tie in the student's interests?" I'm not kidding! The kid would be able to get an alternative assessment or do a retest. There are no consequences!

Now a days, most kids know better than to say certain things. But if that kid has an IEP for emotional problems, that is treated a bit differently. I think every threat should be taken seriously and the student should be talked to by at least a professional in mental health. We've had kids bring in weapons before. Most kids get a ten day suspension, but some could be expelled.

Kids do get angry though and don't know how to process that. We've had kids say that they are going to harm themselves. That starts the suicide protocol which is taken VERY seriously. Sometimes they end up in the mental health unit of the hospital.

Sorry, you didn't hear back. If you never do, that is extremely concerning!
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

TaffyFL

Not right
Old 09-26-2015, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had an asst principal like that: she never replied or followed up with anything. I like that you are making your own documentation trail in case things escalate.

One thing I tried this year was reflection sheets. When they do something like cheating we talk about it. Then they write what they did, why they did it, and 3 things they could have done differently. Then I copy and attach it to a Parent Communication Form. It has been really great so far. The kids can't claim they didn't do it and the parent knows we talked about it and made a plan to do it differently next time. It also calms the student down and focuses on the future. I haven't had a kid repeat the same thing yet (but it's only September) and we've done it for pushing, hitting, and yelling "shut up."

I am worried that your student might freak out when confronted with his own behavior. Maybe you can wait until a calm moment to reflect.

Sorry that was rambling. Keep up with the documentation and good luck!
TaffyFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I probably would not let this go. Take it to the police if need be and see what they say. How many more times do we need to read that no one took his threat seriously
Violets2 is online now   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

threat
Old 09-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's disconcerting that your administration doesn't appear to have taken this seriously. Realistically, there could be things in the works that you don't know about yet, such as referrals to whoever is in charge of SpEd in your district, which might be all that can happen at this point. As MsHope said, a student with an IEP for emotional or behavioral conditions is in a different situation than one who isn't, and the district has certain guidelines and procedures to follow. If the threat was specific but couldn't be carried out immediately, such as "I'll plant bombs in this stupid school & blow everybody up," the response might well be delayed while all the pertinent individuals are notified. This would be different than, say, a kid who had scissors in his hand and threatened to stab a classmate in the neck, where the response would have to be immediate. You're doing the right thing by notifying your VP and keeping a copy of that email. It might be wise to email your principal, counselor, and whoever is in charge of SpEd on your campus as well; you could inquire about the status of proceedings concerning the threat. There isn't much else you can do, except sit back & see what happens.

beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

hiker1

Old 09-26-2015, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Any way you can let some of the parents know that the threat was made? If a parent complains something is usually done.
hiker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

That is crazy your P blew it off
Old 09-26-2015, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Aren't P's required to take some action when a kid makes a bad threat? I can relate though of serious issues being ignored. It is so frustrating when no1 sees or wants to see something because if they did, they'd have to do something about it. It seems to be the norm for some people nowadays.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Teachers Calling the Police
Old 09-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In a neighboring district a few years ago, a kid threatened a teacher and to shoot up the school. The admin. didn't do anything, so the teacher called the police! I think he even called in class. The kid was arrested and removed ASAP. It made the local newspapers.

Like hiker1 said, telling a few parents is a great idea if you want something done.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

azteach88

Old 09-26-2015, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Any threat towards a school, an individual, or anything should be taken seriously. How quickly we forget such incidents of violence on school campuses. Never say, "Not at my school" because that won't go over to well on the nightly news after your school has an active shooter situation. Just because this kid has issues, that should raise eyebrows faster than a more stable student. Again, how quickly we forget.
azteach88 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Even if the principal, for some crazy reason, doesn't think the incident is worthy of any further action, your email still deserves a response.

apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote