The VENT

Not available

>

0-0-0-0

0-0-0-0

Not available
Old 07-01-2019, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So, I'm currently out of the country. A facebook friend said one of my APs contacted him as they're trying to get a hold of me. Explaining that I'm abroad, the AP said for me to please contact them as soon as I can. A colleague found out that a custodian mentioned how my desk tipped over and something inside broke. The only fragile item in my desk is a small framed family photo. I'm certainly not going to cry over needing to replace the frame. I appreciate the concern but I don't want my school to guilt me into thinking I need to be accessible while on summer vacation. Is that wrong for me to feel that way?

dutchgirl

Old 07-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is your desk locked? Could they tell what broke? Were they concerned that something hazardous could be leaking inside your desk?

It was nice of them to try to contact you because something broke in your desk, but it seems instead of asking you to contact them, they could just let you know what happened.

And no, it's not wrong for you to feel that you don't need to be accessible in the summer. You're not on call 24/7! You're not paid for summer. But, I'm not sure anyone is trying to guilt you, maybe just concerned that everything will be ok.

Hope you're having a great time, wherever you are!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

teach123

Old 07-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Not at all. I do think it is nice of them to let you know but you are away. I wouldn't think twice about not contacting them while I was on vacation. Not too long after I started teaching, I was out of the country for two weeks one summer when my room flooded. Someone used the toilet and somehow it leaked or ran and I had a foot of standing water on my carpet. They were trying to reach me so I could come clean it up. That was unreasonable . My mom didn't even pass the message on to me since there was nothing I could do. My lovely school not only left my stuff for me to go through, they wouldn't even replace the carpet until my parents the next year complained enough. We were lucky no one got sick from the mold.
teach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Summers are yours...
Old 07-01-2019, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't call until I got back and felt like it. The only reason I'd even call back would be because I thought there might be a huge change the next yr to prepare myself for mentally.
Feel no guilt....
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest 2

Guest 2

Maybe they didnít want ...
Old 07-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To give too much detail to your friend, which I think is fair enough. I think itís good if them to try and contact you.

NJ Teacher

The drawbacks of school email...
Old 07-01-2019, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I first started teaching and for many years afterward, we would not hear from the building principal and/or the district till we received letters in mid-August. Summer was truly our own.

Now, I am retired, but my last principal would send emails constantly. There was a subtle pressure to open them and read them so you would know what was going on an not miss any information. I resented them and do not miss that at all in retirement. Summer seems to grow shorter each year.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I look at this as a separate situation than the normal "summer emails" I think they are just concerned that they broke something valuable and are doing due diligence by informing you.

I would call.
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 07-02-2019, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I wouldn't call. I couldn't call. My cell phone does not have service out of the US. I'm currently in Canada and surviving without phone service. If anything happens my kids will email me. The hotels have wifi.

I might email (using my school account, not my personal one).

Last edited by marguerite2; 07-02-2019 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: autocorrect
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 07-02-2019, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would email them. It sounds like they are just trying to contact you to let you know what happened, not invade your summer vacation.
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I hear you...
Old 07-02-2019, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

at my old school once my head of school was promoted & became year round it was like she wanted all of us to be year round employees too

As part of our end of year check out we need to update our summer info (address, phone number, etc). Really, the emails donít. Stop. I just donít check (or I look once every 2 weeks or so)

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 07-02-2019, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

No reason to contact the school if your contract doesn't require you to be in touch over the summer. School districts need to cut the cord over the summer. Seriously.
My phone doesn't get service outside the US either. Even if it did......

nope.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

mario2019

Same thing as WordFountain...
Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We must provide our up-to-date contact info when we check out for the summer. Our P is year-round too but I can't think of a summer I have been bothered apart from the normal new year info. Maybe if workshops or inservices have come up at the last minute that they think we might be interested in or should go to.

As a PP said...time to cut the cord for at least some of the summer. If a teacher wants to work on things over the break that is up to them but they shouldn't feel obliged to check in.
mario2019 is offline   Reply With Quote