Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Instrument insurance

>

JenInWV

Instrument insurance
Old 11-17-2019, 06:43 PM

I need some advice. My DD plays the violin and may be getting a violin worth several thousand dollars. Anyway, I am trying to figure out how best to insure it. I think we can add it to our homeowner’s policy, but I have also seen some companies that would insure just the violin. Has anyone ever insured an instrument? Is it worth taking out a policy for just the violin or should I just add it to our existing policy? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 11-17-2019, 07:09 PM

An acquaintance of mine had one on her viola. Her apartment burned with her instrument inside. Her viola was soaked and distorted when the fire was put out. It was replaced in 2-3 weeks.
Zephie is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 PM

Contact the insurance agent who handles your homeowner's policy. You can add a musical instrument floater, and it probably won't be expensive. You'll just need to provide a receipt or an appraisal to show its value. If the instrument is stolen while away from your home, you'll be protected.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Just add it to your homeowners. I play violin, and my parents did just that when they purchased my first “expensive” violin. My senior year, another student stepped on it during orchestra (yes, stepped on it’ broke it right in half, it was awful) and the insurance paid to replace it. It was a bad experience, but made easier knowing it was insured.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-17-2019, 08:29 PM

I agree that it's likely to be less expensive and almost certainly simpler to add it to your homeowners policy. However, it wouldn't hurt to get a quote from a second company. You might get a good recommendation from a music store or from her violin teacher. And read the policy before deciding. Any exclusions? Deductibles? Replacement value? Changes in value over time?

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 11-18-2019, 03:22 PM

You can add it to your homeowner's policy. I did that with my daughter's clarinets (3 professional quality clarinets) and it didn't add a lot to my premium.

However, it depends a bit on what she's going to be doing with them. One of my cousins is a professional musician so his instruments travel with him a lot. For him it was better to insure them separately.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote