Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

How many gifts?

>

Youthcantknow

How many gifts?
Old 12-04-2021, 05:27 AM

After answering the Saturday Survey I started wondering how many gifts you all buy each year. I have over 90. Just my immediate family (parents, adult children, grandchildren) is 19 people. Add the nieces and nephews, my SIL and her husband, a few coworkers, the two low-income kids I'm buying for.....it all adds up and keeps me shopping!
Who are you shopping for this season? How many gifts will you end up buying?

Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 12-04-2021, 05:44 AM

We only buy for our own adult children and spouses now in my family. My mom buys for her 7 grandchildren, though they are all 17-30 years old. None of my siblings or myself have grandkids yet.

DD26 is in grad school in London so I will just send her some cash. DS26 will get 3 small things and some cash. He said he really doesn't need anything. Spouse will get a few things. Overall about 8-10 gifts?? I much prefer this stage
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

gifts
Old 12-04-2021, 05:50 AM

This year it works out to be about 5-6 per person. We just gift to 5 family members and then a couple of friends get one. So total about 40 or so?
I know in years past, it was way more though.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 12-04-2021, 06:27 AM

We cut back years ago. I only buy for my 2ds, daughter in law, grandkids, and 3 friends. I give to nephews on their birthday, not Christmas. We used to exchange with neighbors and many families, but we all decided to end it the past few years. It is so much easier now.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-04-2021, 07:25 AM

I usually don't think numbers since everyone is adults now. My youngest asked for something expensive so she is getting that and one small gift I had bought previously. My oldest had one thing she asked for that doesn't even come close to the dollar amount we spent on the youngest... Right now she only has 2, but I will come up with something else she can use (thinking of getting her a new windshield for her car). Dh is hard to buy for- I bought him new long johns and socks... I usually get my parents something small and foody. This year I did the 25 days of Christmas and it consists of 50 small snack items wrapped up. That is where most of my present number comes from!

Counting now after listing them- 57

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-04-2021, 07:52 AM

I never officially count...just try. to make it even.

I have: 3 children (adults), DIL and 2 significant others, 2 grandchildren, 2 sisters, husband, my aide.

Probably adds up to a lot, but I don't mind. Over 100, likely.

Usually I give cash to my oldest son and his wife, but this year, he mentioned missing having gift to unwrap that are to him, so I bought he and DIL some gifts to unwrap on Christmas Day. That is where I get my joy...the giving of gifts, not the receiving (although I do love to receive, too).
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 12-04-2021, 08:12 AM

I give to my 3 grandchildren, 2 adult children and their spouses, my sister & brother-in-law. I also buy gifts/toys for ďAngel TreeĒ children and toy drives. I try to make it equal moneywise, but donít count the number of gifts.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 12-04-2021, 08:40 AM

In these last 6 yrs, I only have 2 people to buy gifts for, so I get about 6-10 in total each Christmas.

Youthcantknow, it's just my parents and I in my immediate family (been just my Mom and I in the last 6 yrs). We probably gave maybe about 90 gifts to people in a total of every 10 yrs, ha so that's maybe 9 every Christmas! (My parents had me when they were older, so pretty much all my cousins were always adults already when I was still a child, so hardly ever any toys to buy.)

On my Dad's side of the family, I recall giving 1 maybe 2 presents to an aunt and uncle who's home we'd visit sometimes back in the 80s on a few Christmases.

On my Mom's side, who we'd visit more often on holidays, we probably had about 3-7 presents to give each year for about 5-8 yrs.

Then, my parents each gave about 1-4 people gifts at their work.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-04-2021, 10:19 AM

Wow, that's a ton of money to spend on gifts! That's crazy to me! I have a small family. I only exchange gifts with my parents. My mom doesn't have any of her original family left. My dad's side does a $25 white elephant type thing every year (but with legit gifts), now that we're all adults. I/we were never close to that side when we were growing up.

I think the whole thing ends up being silly because you just end up with random crap due to trying to buy things that appeal to any age/gender/preferences, etc. Gift cards weren't allowed, some people don't drink, and most don't like sweets (wish I'd inherited that gene-haha). One year there were like 5 pannini makers . Last year I wasn't there due to covid, and the year before I chose to just not participate. I will probably do the same thing this year.

We don't exchange gifts at work. My first year, I brought in something super small for my teammates, seriously probably less than $5 each was spent. They seemed more embarrassed/uncomfortable that they hadn't brought anything in for me than appreciative, so I never did that again! We have a staff-wide "secret snowman" which I used to participate in, but now you have to attend the holiday party for the reveals. I don't participate in work parties .

I have a friend who does a big ladies' Christmas party every year with a white elephant exchange. Since it's all women it's much easier to shop for! I will pick up something basic from Target for that, probably self-care/beauty type stuff.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 12-04-2021, 11:22 AM

When my kids were little it was a lot of gifts - my 7 nieces, sister, brother, sister-in-law and their spouses, parents, in laws and grandparents, my aide at school, the babysitter and my kidís teachers.

As the kids got older and married we started to do a $40 gift exchange game with my side of the family. Now everyone has little ones again so I think we have decided to stop.

This year Iím buying for DH, DS, DDIL, DGD, DD and her boyfriend. I do have the added stress that both my kids have a birthday in the few days right after Christmas so I tend to overbuy for them. I try to make sure that everyone has the same amount of gifts to open but I donít worry about matching the cost too much. I try to have 5 or 6 for everyone plus stockings.

hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 12-04-2021, 11:38 AM

I always knew I was in the minority because I buy about a handful only. My mom is 99 and in memory care, DH and I really don't exchange. DS lives out of state so I either send something from a chain store near him or deposit cash in his account for him to use when and however he wants. DD and her boyfriend get a few things and that's it. I do buy from gift tags at church but I think of that as donations. Some years, they were all taken before I got one.

Last edited by Violets2; 12-05-2021 at 05:02 AM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

timeforbed

Christmas gifts
Old 12-04-2021, 01:06 PM

1. 3-4 gifts for my son
2. 1 specific gift for each of three of nieces children (toys)
3. a few children's games for the nieces children (This year they are old enough to start playing games, so I got Charades for kids and Connect Four)
5. Some things for me that I want.

And nothing specific for my sister, brother, etc who I usually buy for. Because of the following gifts:

Special project gifts: This year's project is "hats". There will be a huge gift bag with individually wrapped gifts in it. All of them are hats of some kind. None of them has a nametag because when Santa's elves dropped them off on the front porch, they were so busy they forgot the nametags. So my niece's son (age 5) and daughter (age 3) are going to have to open each one, one at a time, and figure out who they belong to. They are all hats of some kind. For example, the baby of the family goes by the nickname "Bee". (Her middle name is a hard to remember name that starts with "B"...named after the doctor who has saved her father's life so far from his brain cancer diagnosis). She has a warm little Bee cap. Her brother's nickname is "Moose" and he has a warm had with two moose antlers on it. My brother (their grandfather) is getting a red and black checked winter hat that looks exactly like one our father used to wear. A niece and her husband are getting hats with "Mama Bear" and "Papa Bear" on them because they are expecting a baby in February. I wanted to buy my sister a hat that says "a$$hat" on it but my son wouldn't let me, so she's getting a hat has "You're too close" embroidered on it in tiny letters at the back of the cap. Anyway, you get the picture. My sister in law loves the idea and she had already bought a hat for one daughter's husband who is kind of funny and goofy...he's the brain cancer survivor, so she's adding that to the bag plus one she picked up for her sister's boyfriend. The sister and the boyfriend are coming up from Florida where they live. The hat for the boyfriend is one that has "Maine" written on it plus some bears, trees, etc. She said she'd hunt for a hat for her sister and one for her daughter. I can't find one for the daughter....my niece. She's the niece who has the husband with brain cancer and three children all five and under. Something with a lot of hands maybe. We're both going to look around for hers and then call if we find something.

I'm not buying a special separate gift for my sister, brother, or sister-in law. They're part of the hat gift thing. My sister's hat gift thing is actually a woolen scarf that can be worn as either a hat of a neck warmer. It's really beautiful and has a silver piece of jewelry that clips on it if it's worn as a neck warmer. So most of the hats are silly, but a few aren't. My son hates silly things so he asked me to get him something normal. He's helped me find some of the other hats.

So that's this year's theme and I hope it will be the beginning of a tradition of Santa's elves dropping off a bag with gifts and forgetting to put the names on the gifts. The kids will help unwrap them and hand them out. There's 14 people this year, and one very pregnant lady so we're adding a gift for the yet to be born baby. I think the kids will have fun distributing the gifts.

I have no idea what I'll do for an encore next year. But it's been fun thinking about each person and buying them something special and then making a game out of it for the kids.
timeforbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

Gifts
Old 12-04-2021, 04:00 PM

We buy for our kids, spouses and grandkids. Our parents are gone now but we used to buy for them. Based on mutual agreement we stopped buying for our siblings when we were in our 20ís and never started buying for the nieces and nephews. That would have been 21 more people! Just too many. I did buy for a few coworkers but we all agreed to keep the amount low.
We do donate money, food, clothes and toys to various charities but I donít consider that part of my gift giving.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

dawnmei

gifts
Old 12-04-2021, 04:39 PM

DH and I buy for our niece and nephew, who are 18 & 14. We get something for my parents, usually a small thing for Mom, a small thing for Dad and then a "household" type gift. We decided last year not to exchange with my brother and his wife, as it had pretty much become an exchange of gift cards. We also buy a gift or two for his mom. There may be a couple other $10 or under type gifts I get for my teammates or a friend, but those seem to vary year to year just by what I see and who I think might like something that catches my eye. There's nothing set in stone there.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 12-04-2021, 06:32 PM

Very few here. None of us really enjoy the gift giving thing and I actually dread it. We do love Christmas, but don't consider the gift exchange an essential part of it for adults - more of a choice people can make, or not. I hate shopping with a passion, but it has gotten easier with online shopping. The only time I enjoy a little shopping is when we are on vacation so sometimes I pick up things then as I see them, but we haven't been on a vacation in a long time!

One gift for my mom, our only remaining parent.

Each of our sons gets one joint gift with their spouse and they each get an individual gift, then a check for some fun money. So 2 joint gifts and 4 small individual gifts and 4 checks. Sometimes some of the gifts are identical, I know, I know...

DH and I are buying a new computer as our "gift" to each other so if you count that, the total gifts we'll buy is 8.

When my sister was single, we always gave her a gift but now that she's married we don't exchange with her any more.

When we have grandkids, it will increase as we'll have kids to buy for. When they're in their teens the gifts will decrease and they'll get a gift and a check.

Last edited by MKat; 12-04-2021 at 07:20 PM..
MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 12-04-2021, 07:50 PM

This year I am giving to my mom & dad, my sister-in-law, my grandniece, 2 grandnephews, 2 nieces, my sister, my brother and my cousin. I usually don't give presidents to my nieces, sister and brother. But my sister has been doing a lot for my parents, making them dinner just about every night so I sent her a wreath from LL Bean as a thank you. My brother will get some sweats, he is sick & in the hospital. My 2 nieces are getting tickets to Harry Potter exhibit at the Franklin Institute because my dear grandniece can't go by herself. I use to buy more gifts but I am tired of giving gifts and not getting so much as a thank you, so I stopped.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

gifts
Old 12-05-2021, 04:43 AM

I never counted before, but it's only about 40 gifts. It's not 40 people, but a few people (immediate family) get about 5 gifts each.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 12-05-2021, 10:03 AM

I buy for my mom (about 4-5 items, normally spend around $150/$200) and my much younger sister and brother (just 1 or 2 items each).

My best friend from college and I buy for each other (depends on the year but normally 4-6 items).

Then, I buy for my Godson as well.

I love buying gifts for people but I buy things throughout the year and donít sit for special occasions. I also like gifting experiences: concert tickets, pedicures, treating somebody to dinner, etc.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 12-05-2021, 03:58 PM

It truly varies depending on the cost of the items. Weíve already done Christmas when DS was home from Denmark for Thanksgiving!

This year my DS got a couple gifts and I ordered one directly sent to Denmark. Then we finished with a check.

DD got a humbug of things for her new house that were mostly inexpensive so there was more of a pile.

A couple each for my mom, sister & sister-in-law. Gave my mom some $ towards gift cards to a place DB frequents.

DH & I opted not to do gifts because we are going to start a big remodel project in January and donít want to pack up anything extra!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 12-06-2021, 07:45 AM

At my house on Christmas morning, it's only my DD and myself. I haven't finished shopping yet but she'll get several gifts, things that will keep her occupied while at home in a creative way hopefully.
I just sent off gifts to my niece and nephews and will send something to my brother and SIL, then will get something for my dad. My dad is ridiculous to buy for because he doesn't like "stuff," doesn't always use food-type gifts even if they're things he enjoys eating or drinking, and doesn't use experience type gifts which I think he just forgets about lol.
cruxian is online now   Reply With Quote

rana712

Old 12-06-2021, 03:33 PM

i am thinking 2. We always get a puzzle. And I am thinking about getting my DH a subscription to a magazine. We cut way, way back.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote