Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Going back into the classroom

>

gradymidget

Going back into the classroom
Old 12-02-2021, 04:29 AM

Since this board seems to get all the traction now, I am posting my question here. With the teacher shortage across the country, I am wondering how many retired teachers have gone back into the classroom or are subbing to help fill the shortage? Personally, I am not doing either but I know my state has removed the restrictions for retired teachers to help fill the void.

gradymidget is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-02-2021, 05:58 AM

At our school about 80% of our substitutes teachers are retired teachers. We have one that is on her second long-term sub job. She is getting paid better than regular subs, but I seriously don't know why she does it. I know this latest gig is stressing her out!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 12-02-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I am wondering how many retired teachers have gone back into the classroom….
I love retirement more than words can say and have no interest in returning to teaching. So not me, but I love that we have the option and I wish you great good luck.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

thought about it
Old 12-02-2021, 07:04 AM

With the teacher shortages and all, I did think about it. But with the current climate of parents being so outspoken and rude, the increased technology and of course covid, I don't thik I'd do well in that setting. I do a small bit with our local Save Our Schools which works to help public schools. They are quickly eroding due to legislation that has favored charter and private schools.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

calumetteach

Old 12-02-2021, 07:07 AM

I know that subs are in great need, but I am not going back. I hope that somehow, someone realizes how important teaching is and change for the better begins to happen.

I recently saw a colleague who is still teaching and she said that there are new mandates and new curriculum on top of all the Covid issues. Piling more things on top of already stressed teachers is just wrong.

calumetteach is offline   Reply With Quote

WalkDontRun

Old 12-02-2021, 08:40 AM

I posted previously about my near subbing experience. I was ready to do some subbing this year until I went to HR to sign up. I had been told that there were just a few forms for retired teacher to sign but when I went in I was expected to fill out a full application, provide transcripts, references, letter of interest. He** no! Um, don’t you have any record of my 25 years of service in the district??
WalkDontRun is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 12-02-2021, 08:56 AM

I really want a part time intervention gig. The roadblocks include: lack of support for teachers when students are violent and/or severely disruptive. Teachers are told to build relationships with students and do not send the student back to class. Teachers are told to call the office for extreme cases. Phone calls are never answered. Intervention groups are filled with eight students but teacher is given only five books.

Typical problems that all teachers put up with in many districts. I love retirement and want to remain active in the community. Subbing isn't my thing because I want to go in to work already knowing the plan and the set up. Good luck to all those going back to the classroom!
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-02-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I am wondering how many retired teachers have gone back into the classroom….
Not me. I’m on year 7 of retirement and love it too much to even think of returning to any classroom, especially now that DH retired this year.

I’m only aware of one retired teacher friend who has worked part time subbing or as a part time interventionist over the years since she left full time teaching.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 12-02-2021, 10:19 AM

No, no and no! Before covid I helped my daughter in her classroom and while I enjoyed being there for an hour a couple of times a week I was always so glad that I'm not teaching anymore. And now with all the covid restrictions and extra expectations put on teachers, I can't even imagine.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 12-02-2021, 12:13 PM

I left burnt out and angry. There is no way I'd ever go back.

I miss the kids, I miss the actual teaching, but I don't miss "being a teacher" because I honestly felt abused the last couple of years. I know it was all about having a bad administrator, but it's still so tainted.

Every once in a while, I start thinking maybe if I go back I could erase those years and return to what I used to love about teaching, but the fear is too big.

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Momjo

Subbing
Old 12-02-2021, 04:32 PM

Unlike many others here, I do substitute teach. The first few years after my retirement I did two long term sub jobs for a semester. The first was in my previous grade level and the second was a resource room math job. Both very doable for me. I negotiated a salary and they agreed because they knew I was familiar with the curriculum and were fortunate to get me.

I currently keep very busy subbing, but if I don't want to, like today, I say no. I also recently took three weeks off to travel to see some of my grandkids. I usually just sub at my former school and usually in the elementary, although I've done middle and high school a lot also. I still enjoy it, but when I don't, I can stop.
Momjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-02-2021, 05:28 PM

I went back to subbing on my own terms, only 3 schools and only teachers I like. No more than a 3 day assignment. I am blessed to have the choice.
Tapdancesub is online now   Reply With Quote

TeaPro

Old 12-02-2021, 08:18 PM

Subbing was never something I wanted to do. Tutoring or small group reading/math support maybe, but volunteers not allowed right now at schools around me. All the teachers I know are stressed and over worked.
TeaPro is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-03-2021, 07:01 PM

I'm not seeing that at my school. We've had the same few subs for as long as I can remember. Honestly, I'm not sure if they were FT teachers at one point. If so, it's been quite a long time!

My mom subs. She was sort of forced into "retirement"- the private religious school she worked at closed. If classes (or entire schools) have major behavior issues she doesn't go back to those places. She says it's not worth the money. She was telling me the other day that she won't go into schools that "don't have rules."

I asked her what she meant. Apparently the new thing is to have these "affirmations" (yes, have heard of doing that in the classroom, but not instead of expectations). The "rules" are a list of things like, "We are a family. We trust each other. We love each other." No consequences, which is not new, but ALSO no positive rewards. No tickets or anything like that. This hasn't made it to my area yet!

I'm a million years away from retirement, but I don't see myself ever wanting to sub. I always thought it sounded like the worst thing ever, not knowing what you're walking into each day and having little control over so many things. I could see myself wanting some sort of part time job for sure, but either something consistent like a title 1 tutor or something, or something totally non-teaching.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 12-04-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Apparently the new thing is to have these "affirmations" (yes, have heard of doing that in the classroom, but not instead of expectations). The "rules" are a list of things like, "We are a family. We trust each other. We love each other." No consequences, which is not new, but ALSO no positive rewards. No tickets or anything like that. This hasn't made it to my area yet!
When our brand new principal first came to our school 6 or 7 years ago, that is what she thought. I didn't hear her verbalize it exactly, but she did say that we didn't need rules. It took several years and some phasing in, but she did eventually realize that we needed clear rules so students and staff were not confused. If staff doesn't understand what is okay and what isn't, how can the students? You can't just willy nilly inform kids after they have done things.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote