Help

BusyBoard

Student Mailboxes...HELP

>

learnalways

Student Mailboxes...HELP
Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do NOT want to replace student mailboxes this year. I had the literature sorter that most people have that has 15 slots, but I had two. The kids were rough on them. I would need to replace them all. I was thinking either:

Get rid of them all together and only send home homework in our Thursday folders or,
Use a milk crate numbered for their folder.

What do you use??? I don't want to spend a fortune every couple of years.

learnalways is offline   Reply With Quote

bronxgirl75

Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use hanging folders in different spots of my room. Kids are assigned an area based on their first name.
bronxgirl75 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsflowermom

Mailboxes
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What grade do you teach? I think that makes a difference. I don't use mailboxes. I have homework folders I send home on Mondays (I teach 1st grade) and then Thursday folders which contain any flyers, notices, reports, etc. that need to go home during the week. I taught 5th grade once and I had hanging folders for each student with their number on them. I had a blue folder in each which was for outgoing stuff to the student (make up work, etc.) and a yellow folder which was for the student to place papers coming back to me. It would be the student's responsibility to get what was in their folder to take home. Most of the time, this system worked. Hope this helps.
mrsflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

Old 06-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use stacking letter trays. It's a one-time investment, but then they'll last forever. I like how I can have the exact number I need. I use a label maker to put names on the front edge, but I've also seen people attach names with binder clips.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Lette...product_908350
These are $10.29 for a 6 pk, so you could have enough for a typical class for around $40-$50. It sounds like a lot of money, but, as I said, they'll last forever. I've had mine for 17 years, and they're as good as new. I love them!
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

breezey

Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wooden shoe carrels from Target...about $20 -$25 each. I think they have 20 slots.

breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

sorter
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mine has 24 slots and I've had it for 7 years now. It's like new! Of course, mine is only used to put graded papers by ME, so the kids never mess with it. Well, they get their own papers from it and bring to me to review tests with - but that's it. That may be why mine has lasted so long. I think it came from Sam's.

Here's what mine looks like:
http://craftcorners.com/wp-content/u...-organizer.jpg
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

KrisKElem

mine too
Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Mine looks like SusanTeach's and I have had it for 15 years. My students do help to put papers in each week and it still looks great (except for the marks on the side where I put tape this year, duh!!) It does cost a lot at first but I think well worth it!

I also like the idea of the trays but not sure where the name goes, please advise
KrisKElem is offline   Reply With Quote

seslava

I use letter trays
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I connected them all together using cable ties so they won't come apart and I put numbers on the white labels so I don't have to change it every year.

A couple of things I had to adjust to: 1) It took a while to connect all the trays together because I had to connect each tray to one above/below/both with a cable tie, and then once I had the two stacks I had to cable tie the stacks together. 2) I wasn't sure I wanted to use numbers because I think that the numbering system is a little impersonal, but it worked out really well. I didn't make my students put their numbers on their papers, but I had all their numbers memorized and they did too so they could easily sort papers.

I've only had these for three years, but so far I think they are holding up well. I bought something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stacking-T...Black/16451659

Hope you find something that works for you.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
seslava is offline   Reply With Quote

QueenBee2011

Sorry, but..
Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Honestly, I've tried the stacking files and they just fall apart too. I would invest in the mailbox slot that is pressboard. It will run you about 50.00, but is well worth it. I've had mine for five years and it is in perfect condition. It has about 24 slots. Love it!!!

Another teacher uses a crate with file folders.

One more idea is to get one of those file holders that is on rollers like the one below
http://www.staples.com/metal+rolling...g+file+holder?
QueenBee2011 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-13-2013, 02:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Most of the rooms I'm in have the cardboard slots, but I have seen a shoe bag hung up. Papers were kind of rolled the long way to put them in. I bet it was inexpensive, and I think you could label the clear slots with an Expo marker and re-label next year.

Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4k

Old 06-13-2013, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with a few other posters....I would make the investment of the slots. I purchased mine from Classroom Direct 15 years ago and it still looks pretty good. I cut little strips of masking tape with the names on them which makes it very easy to remove at the end of the year. Even the slots which are that heavy cardboard still are in great condition. I think that the ones that they have today look a little nicer and have different colors than mine.

I know I paid about $40. for mine but think that they are more like $60 now.
teach4k is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
I don't use mailboxes. I have homework folders I send home on Mondays (I teach 1st grade) and then Thursday folders which contain any flyers, notices, reports, etc. that need to go home during the week.
I'm also in 1st. We have a take home folder which goes back and forth each day. One side is 'keep' and the other is 'return'. (There's also a pencil pouch for notes, money, etc.) All folders go into a basket each morning and any papers going home that day are also put into the basket. My class is small and I give them their papers at the end of the day and they put them in the correct side.

If my class was larger, I'd use hanging file folders to put each child's papers in and let them get the papers at the end of the day. Putting the papers into the folders could be a classroom job.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Susanteach
Old 06-13-2013, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Mine are like yours, I had the 24 slot for years & finally gave it away about 4 years ago so I coud buy the exact same one, except 36 slots because class size in my district keeps going up in the last 4 years at my highest I had 32 this year, lowest 26 a few years ago.

I have no clue how long I had the 24 but the 36 will start its 4th year in he fall. I always let kids put stuff in it & ate stuff out themselves & both of mine were/ is in EXCELLENT condition.

I tried the stacking black ones before I bought the 36, they would get really dusty, and always collapse, plus I felt it took up too much room.

Overall. It's what you like, what you can afford & space you have!

Good luck!
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Old 06-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have one that has 25 or 30 slots that the janitor made out of wood. I've used it for 6 years and not sure how long it was used before me. It's a little big, but I use the extra slots for other supplies.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

learnalways

Thank you
Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Thanks for all of the advice. I think I am going to invest the 60.99 for 24 slots at office max for the all oak one. I bought one in 2009 for all of my own supplies and it is still going strong. I didn't want to spend the money but the cardboard 30 slots is 69 bucks. I may as well save a few dollars and get oak. Our max number is 28, so I would need 4 slots more. I think I am only going to have folders in them - no snacks or books.

If these get destroyed, green hanging folders it will be.
learnalways is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My room is very small and I jsut don't ahve room for the organizers, although I have one at home from a previous classroom experience. I use a crate. Each student gets a hanging file folder. I put a plastic tab with their name on a trimmed sticky note inside. My folders are color coordinated for class- I have three classes that rotate through my room. These folders are for all graded work. Students pass the graded work out on Fridays and it is put in their home folder.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote