Help

ARCHIVE

Painting furniture

>

Mrs.Lilbit

Painting furniture
Old 06-13-2010, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

All the crafty Pters are doing such a good job painting stuff for their classroom and sharing the results that I'm almost motivated to try a project myself. I have some of those cheap laminate/pressed wood book shelves (the kind you can find anywhere for about $20) and a very old right handed metal student desk--the kind with the cubbyhole under the seat and the attached pressed wood/laminate desk top. I would like to paint them, but I don't know how well painting the fake wood stuff would work. Has anyone ever done this before, and if so, do you have any tips?

Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

MissC83

shelf
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi! I just finished painting a wood laminate bookshelf... here's a link to my site, you can see pictures of it. Scroll half way down and click on the Painted Furniture link.

http://campcrawford.shutterfly.com/

I spray painted the whole thing black...If I had to do it again, I would've used regular paint instead. I like to make stripes by using masking tape...when I tried that, the layers of paint came up with the tape when I removed it. :-/

Also, the spray paint didn't cover very well...I don't know if I should've sanded the shelf first, put something else on it before spraying, or what, but it didn't work very well! It was VERY uneven...the inside of the shelf is very spotty--not sure how I'm going to fix that yet.

Anyways, HAPPY PAINTING! I hope you'll post pix when you are done!
MissC83 is offline   Reply With Quote

KinderCan

Love your room!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just visited your link to your class. You have a Fantastic Room! Just wondering where you got the lights above your Camp News bulletin board? Also, what kind of paint did you use for the file cabinets? Thanks!!
KinderCan is offline   Reply With Quote

MissC83

Old 06-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for checking out my room.
I found the cute bee lights at Goodwill for $3!!! I was so excited! I've seen a lot of lights similar to the bee lights--there are all sorts of colors and shapes.

Paint for file cabinet--The dark blue one was spray painted. I used acrylic craft paint on top of that.
The green and yellow one was actually wall paint and acrylic craft paints.
MissC83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-13-2010, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks, MissC--All of your furniture is super cute. Your filing cabinet is what first inspired me to post!

I'm thinking maybe if I coat the laminate wood with a primer first, that might help with the problems you mentioned. Maybe a magnetic primer?

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens!

Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote