Help

ARCHIVE

Georgia- Writing Test?

>

WebJunkie

Georgia- Writing Test?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Georgia teachers---I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not we will administer a Writing Assessment next year in Ga. Does anyone know? Its administered in 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades currently.

WebJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

LadyDawg

This is what I heard....
Old 06-13-2010, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1st and 2nd grade CRCTs and 3rd and 5th grade writing assessments were eliminated. Not sure if boards will be able to fund it themselves or not.
LadyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

hhisc

No writing test
Old 06-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As of our last day of post planning, there was to be no writing assessment. We were still to collect samples of each genre for their portfolios, but there would be no formal assessment.
hhisc is offline   Reply With Quote

brtotchr

crct and writing test
Old 06-13-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is came from our county office:

Perdue restores early grade CRCT, SAT prep, AP exams, writing tests and PSAT. Sharpen those pencils after all.

4:43 pm June 8, 2010, by Maureen Downey

Sharpen those No. 2 pencils. Testing is about to resume in thousands of classrooms across the state.

Depending on your view of the value of the testing, you will either cheer or lament the decisions by Gov. Perdue today to overrule the Legislature and continue to fund the CRCT in first and second grades, the writing tests in third and fifth grade, SAT prep, AP exams and statewide administration of the PSAT.

In signing the appropriations bill, the governor issued 15 agency directives to ignore intent language included in the budget. These are the education cuts that the governor undid:

Section 23, pertaining to the Department of Education, page 68, line 2068:

The General Assembly seeks to instruct the department to eliminate funds for SAT Prep. Use GACollege411 for ACT and SAT practice tests in the Testing program. The department is authorized to operate the program in accordance with the purpose of the program and its general law powers of the Department.

Section 23, pertaining to the Department of Education, page 68, line 2069:

The General Assembly seeks to instruct the department to reduce funds for PSAT ($815,000) and AP exams ($4,200,000) in the Testing program. The department is authorized to operate the program in accordance with the purpose of the program and its general law powers of the Department.

Section 23, pertaining to the Department of Education, page 68, line 2070:

The General Assembly seeks to instruct the department to eliminate funds for the CRCT for grades 1 and 2 in the Testing program. CRCTs in grades 1 and 2 ensure that students in those grades are meeting state standards and give parents confidence that their children are making adequate progress. CRCTs in grades 1 and 2 also help prepare students for the CRCT in grade 3, the passage of which is required to move on to 4th grade. It is unwise to eliminate the CRCT in grades 1 and 2. The department is authorized to operate the program in accordance with the purpose of the program and the general law powers of the department.

Section 23, pertaining to the Department of Education, page 68, line 2071:

The General Assembly seeks to instruct the department to eliminate funds for the writing assessment for grades 3 and 5 in the Testing program. Writing is one of the most fundamental skills a student must master in order to be prepared for later grades and ultimately to succeed in life. Failing to administer writing assessments in grades 3 and 5 will have a detrimental effect on students and could possibly lead to an inadequate amount of instruction in this fundamental skill. The department is authorized to operate the program in accordance with the purpose of the program and the general law powers of the department.
brtotchr is offline   Reply With Quote

GATeacher3rd

Gone in my county
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Last we heard, there will be no CRCT in 1st and 2nd and the writing assessment in 3rd and 5th will no longer be administered. However, I have heard that 4th grade might be getting a writing assessment. It will be set up like 3rd grades writing assessment. Who knows...everything seems to be a last minute decision anyways so I guess I shouldn't get my hopes up...

GATeacher3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

CountryJo

Just Curious - What county sent out the
Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

announcement from Perdue? I'm sure that we will jumping on the bandwagon, but does add stress to the job.
CountryJo is offline   Reply With Quote

WebJunkie

Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had a similar email as well that said it was reinstated, but they were unsure where the funding would come from.
WebJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

brtotchr

Old 06-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The email came from Bartow County.
brtotchr is offline   Reply With Quote