Help

ARCHIVE

Class jobs

>

2Teach2Learn

Class jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have grown very tired of changing out jobs every week. I would like to come up with a new system for this coming year. I am open to changing the jobs monthly or having jobs that they keep for the whole year. I also really like the idea of having to apply for the job if it is to be a year long job, but am not sure if this would work with second graders. Any suggestions or advice that anyone can give, is very much appreciated! TIA!

2Teach2Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

OmahaTeacher

Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I got sick of changing jobs every week as well and went to changing them every 2 weeks. That made all the difference for me. There are weeks where they don't get changed until Wednesday or so, but the kids don't seem to mind. Plus it seems by the time they're in the groove for their job I'm changing them.
OmahaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kbbteacher

Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have the snack person for the day also be the job person for the day. That way I know everyone gets a turn for everything almost monthly and there is no complaining!
kbbteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

One student of the day
Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

does every job I need, usually choosing his/her own helper if an additional person is needed. The kids monitor the chart and make sure the helper of the day marker is moved each day. They remember much better than I do.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoriVincent

5th graders
Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

love being Helper of the Day. I choose the HOTD using my alphabetized roster, but you could also choose at random as long as the students all get equal turns. The HOTD does everything that needs to be done for the day. They pass out papers, collect items, run errands, are line leader, clean up, etc. for the entire day. If more than one helper is needed, the HOTD chooses an assistant. It works out great for the older elementary students. If they are absent, they miss their turn, but it eventually comes around again.

LoriVincent is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmickey

Helper of the Week
Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I had my girl and boy line leader do all of the jobs for the entire week. After the first few weeks, I didn't even have to keep track of it. The students always knew who was the next helper.
luvmickey is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have what I call my travel agents. I have 4 a week (or 2 weeks or a month if you'd like). It's up to these 4 students to handle all of the jobs. If they need additional help they can ask other classmates.
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

swimmy

Old 06-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My job helper system is similiar to booklady57. My student of the week chooses a helper when needed. I've used this for about 4 years and it works for me. I got so tired to changing the cute job helper charts every Friday for the next week. It was just one more thing for me to do and I wanted to simplify.
swimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

polkadot86

jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I didn't do class jobs per se, I had a line leader who did all of the running around and assisting me, and a door holder that held the door. These two students also were table washers. They changed every day. Each child in my class had a number. I started on day one with student number 1 as line leader and student number 2 as door holder. The next day, student number 2 moved up to line leader and student number 3 was door holder. This continued until all of the students had their turn, and then started over again. After a few days the kids knew the procedure and rotated themselves..I never had to do a thing!
polkadot86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was terrible with jobs. I went with the "Student Teacher of the Day". I go in alphabetical order. That person is the line leader/door holder and the rest of the students are in line order so everyone moves up in the line everyday until they are first. The first person who gets to the door holds it for the class (this includes the line leader) then slides in at the end of the line. It takes a while for them to get used to that but they do. These are first graders. What a difference this made in my room! I love it and will never go back to individual jobs again!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm so glad you asked this, because I was thinking the same thing myself! I've always done the weekly jobs where I rotate 10 or so kids, but I'm starting to think it's one less thing to worry about it if I just give 1 or 2 kids the job either for the day or the week.

Now to figure out which works better - daily or weekly........
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I change jobs monthly, sometimes every other month. I have a job application that kids fill out. They let me know what jobs they would like and I assign from there.
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

linniccox

class jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I rotate jobs each quarter. We use an economy system and they get paid weekly for doing their job. I have found the jobs are done more consistently. I then have that student train the next person for the job. I do have enough jobs that all my kids have one, some are simple, some more complex and they are paid accordingly.

I've done the weekly, and every other week, but I didn't like having to spend the time figuring out who was doing what. This has worked well the past 2 years.
linniccox is offline   Reply With Quote

fraffert

Student of the Week
Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I adopted the idea last year of a student of the week. It kept me from going insane. That student helps with all of my classroom jobs, except group helper. To keep group helper easy, I put them into groups of five and they rotate counterclockwise from the front left each day. That way Monday's helper is always Monday's helper. Hope this helps.
fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

BetsyC

Old 06-13-2010, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Each student in my third grade classroom has a job to do which helps me out greatly. We only change jobs every 6 to 8 weeks, and students complete an application for their top three choices each time jobs are changed.

If students do not complete/turn in class work or homework or are having behavioral concerns they could be suspended from or even "fired" from their jobs. (They sign this agreement on the job application. This has been helpful to motivate some
students!!) Because they are "paid" for completing their jobs, the students most often take their work very seriously. One job is to manage daily who has or hasn't completed their job, and this person "paid" students each Friday.

Overall, I truly benefit from the students helping around the room and the students absolutely love having jobs and being paid. They feel like real grown-ups!
BetsyC is offline   Reply With Quote

cre8tive_tchr

Class jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have enough jobs for each kid and change them every two weeks. I also teach 2nd grade and it is my experience that it takes the first week for them to learn the job and remember to actually do it without me reminding them. Two weeks works for me and if it's a short week we don't switch so sometimes it's 2 1/2 weeks between switching.
cre8tive_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

Old 06-13-2010, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

As I got tired of keeping track of who had had what job, I had decided that I would have enough jobs for each student in my class. I ended up with 19 jobs and a few "extras" in case of new students.

I started off with line leader and then randomly placed the other jobs in a line. For my team jobs, such as Floor Sweeper, I made sure they seperated by several other jobs. Each (or every oher) Monday, your name would move to the job to the right and then the person with the last job would go back to the beginning. I loved this method as there was no "I don't want that job." or "He/She has already been that job." There was no question about what job you would have the following round.

When I got a new student I added a job to the end of the chain and then the new student would finish the round off with that new job and then would start the next cycle off as line leader and the person who was in the last job would get to be the first person to have the new job. This way the cycle could continue. removing a job as students left was a little trickier but we managed.

This was how I did my jobs two years ago. This past year I was departmentalized and my partner teacher only had 5 jobs so I went along with what she planned. Next school year we are back to self-contained and will go back to having enough jobs for everyone. It takes me 5 minutes on Monday morning to change jobs. I think this year I will also stick with a two week cycle.
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

This was the first year I gave everyone a job and rotated weekly. It was part of our economy unit. I found it overwhelming. First of all, I always forget to let the kids do their jobs, so I often didn't change them. Secondly, taking the time to pay them was also difficult. Part of that was I was also trying to pay them for behavior and academic successes. I finally had to give up sometime in May.

I think I will do the student teacher of the day. I have done it before and it was much more manageable. I made stickers on big labels for them to wear. I think I first heard about it at a Donna Whyte workshop. I think she gave them a desk and hat to wear, or something like that.
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

Jule

jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

This was the first year I gave everyone a job and rotated weekly. It was part of our economy unit. I found it overwhelming. First of all, I always forget to let the kids do their jobs, so I often didn't change them. Secondly, taking the time to pay them was also difficult. Part of that was I was also trying to pay them for behavior and academic successes. I finally had to give up sometime in May.

I think I will do the student teacher of the day. I have done it before and it was much more manageable. I made stickers on big labels for them to wear. I think I first heard about it at a Donna Whyte workshop. I think she gave them a desk and hat to wear, or something like that.

As I recall, I went down the alphabetical list of students. The person next in line was the assistant. They became the st the next day.
Jule is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

Jobs requiring more that one helper?
Old 06-14-2010, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

For those of you who have only one helper a day/week, how do you handle jobs that require more than one person? At my school we need to have at least 2 messengers and 4 cafeteria helper (2 table washers and 2 floor sweepers). Does your helper be line leader and then the next person in line be the door holder? What happens if your helper is absent?
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

2Teach2Learn

Wow
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Thank you so much for all the wonderful ideas! I really do appreciate all of them. For those that use an application system, do you have an example of the application they have to fill out? If not, what type of questions do they have to answer? TIA!

BetsyC

Old 06-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I'm attaching a copy of the job application I use with third graders. I'm pretty sure I found this on Proteacher several years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Employment Application.doc (26.0 KB, 31 views)
BetsyC is offline   Reply With Quote

2Teach2Learn

BestyC
Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Thank you so much for attaching the application. I am going to modify it a little, if you don't mind! Thanks again!